Traditional Archery "Shot of the Month"

I submit all resumes in Jokerman. Still waiting to land that dream job…

7 Likes

I should have been more upfront with my reply. It was ME who started the whole ‘uproar’ on this forum by using Papyrus font on something I posted a few months back. It was a torrent of remarks unleashed by all the ‘font police’ on here and it had died down…until now. I also happen to like Papyrus, too…and I’m guessing we may be in the minority, but you know what… I don’t care! And your project looks terrific!

rhenley2h

I actually like Papyrus.

:clap: :smiley:

7 Likes

Were I not retired and trying to land a job…perhaps Hooked on Booze?

At some of the dives I’ve worked at in the French Quarter, you might actually score a job with that resume!

3 Likes

Me too - Loud and Proud!

4 Likes

These look great. Yes, Papyrus is overused but sometimes it’s still a good font choice.

4 Likes

What do you shoot? I made a few hickory long bows. Love to shoot them but never had any luck hunting. Made ash arrows too. All my kids have little long bows I made as well. Would love to get a nice recurve at some point.

1 Like

Your project looks beautiful.
Well done.
I like the variety of items, and Papyrus is appropriate for the job.

I did a project, knowing I was going to share it here, and purposefully used BOTH comic sans AND papyrus. on purpose. It’s a T-shirt I wear in public. With pride.

Recipients of this will also brag, despite the internet.

I shoot recurve. I just traded my bear kodiak hunter for Hoyt Gamemaster II.
I might be looking at a longbow in the near future.

2 Likes

I think the more coherent argument against certain typefaces is that they’re so common that by using them, they are a distraction from the overall piece.

I like these medals but my first reaction was “huh papyrus”. I’m not exactly a papyrus hater but my immediate thought is not about the overall excellent design of the pieces [they really is nicely designed, good work] but of the typeface choice.

So if you ask me, that’s the reason not to use it (or times new Roman or comic sans*), beyond personal or collective tastes. Good design should be as invisible as possible.

Interestingly Helvetica is super ubiquitous but doesn’t provoke the same reaction, perhaps due to its lack of ornament. Interesting.

(*) comic sans gets a lot of grief, which --personally-- I understand, but it’s actually apparently really good for people who suffer from dyslexia. So my attitude about it was softened a bit for that reason.
https://theestablishment.co/hating-comic-sans-is-ableist-bc4a4de87093

3 Likes

I’m using up all my likes today on this one topic.

1 Like

I did read Zen and the Art of Archery in college and have kept it on my essentials bookshelf since. I appreciate traditional archery but for the last twenty years it’s been with a compound bow. Two years ago I switched to compact bow and carbon fiber. Oh man. Traditional is a wonderful discipline, but with this new bow and arrow set, much more success in hitting the target where it needs to be hit.

And not to re-divert the topic. I found a postcard in the mail today with this graphic on it:

In every place, for every occasion, gravitas when you require it, authenticity when you seek it: Papyrus, it just works.

10 Likes

I know I’m late to this party, and I too can’t wait to make my first cuts, but why papyrus?

I live by the following font selection rules:
Comic Sans if its an assignment for a 5th grader (or younger).
Papyrus if it is a Thai restaurant’s menu.

2 Likes

@rhenley, how did you do that meek point size? That was hilarious!

@ranger.mctague, personally I think that font choice is perfect. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

You can use the < small > and </ small > tags for that (just remove the spaces when you use it).

1 Like

Papyrus is the target of much snark here as in most forums that deal with design and layout. I do believe it gets more ridicule here than even comic sans. 9 times out of 10 you can be assured that its mention or use is ironic (well, actually sarcastic in intention, only ironic from the viewer’s experience after it has sunk in what’s going on, but that’s a fight for the grammar police).

2 Likes

Had to go to the County Assessor’s office yesterday… every cubicle had a nametag done in comic sans. Hard to take that seriously.

7 Likes

You guys are freakin insane - Really!! Fonts!!!

4 Likes

Papyrus is so cool! I am so looking forward to using comic-papyrus!!

1 Like

I usually only give a couple Likes per week. Wish I could max out my daily allowance on your comment.

4 Likes