Transporting Glowforge

I have owned that miter stand and it really is nice to fold and unfold quickly. It is very stable and solid.

I think you could make a 38 x 22 Baltic Birch cabinet platform, but the folding functions with the GF attached would not be good.

Just too much GF surface area exposed (in the folded position) for impact damage.:boom:

1 Like

My main concern with the Pro is putting the Pro->Filter attachment point sideways. If there are thin walls (meant only to align) then I donā€™t want to put stress on them by turning the whole thing 90 degrees.

The cart does look phenomenal. If I didnā€™t already have a dolly it would be an easy purchase. Or if I had absolutely ANY other tool I could mount on the thing. But I donā€™t have either. Though I could maybe put a table top on the thing for a more mobile demo-cartā€¦

Of course, taking the idea of building a countertop for the cartā€¦ you could make walls for each side of the Glowforge, then the thing sits very snugly (wall above and below). But this would strangle the ventilation on those sidesā€¦ I think Dan said we need a few inches of clearance.

3 Likes

I just got a similar rolling stand (ā€œmade byā€ Hitachi) and installed my miter saw onto it. The stand works OK for the miter saw, but it does have two things that Iā€™m not too happy about that I think are worth sharingā€¦

1. The two beams that the saw mounts to are held on with clamping force, when the stand is rotated to the vertical position the saw slides down to the bottom end because of its weight. The saw I have is heavy, but I donā€™t think itā€™s ~55 lbs like the Glowforge apparently is.
  2. Itā€™s actually not very easy to move from the vertical to the horizontal position. I actually have to pry the legs away from the stand in order to make it tilt up, a process thatā€™s extra difficult because I have to do it with my feet. Iā€™m guessing the weight of the saw hanging off is messing with the center of gravity or something.

I should mention that I think both of these problems are caused by the fact that Iā€™m collapsing the stand while the saw is still attached to it - something that is forbidden in the manual (on the second-to-last page).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a design feature of the Home Depot one - itā€™s designed to allow for vertical folding & storage with the saw on it.

1 Like

The two stands basically share a common design.

I am sorta tempted by this carrier but I am pretty sure it would end in tears. Are we assuming that a locked-for-transport GF can be tilted at arbitrary angles?

2 Likes