Travel Box Christmas Gift

For Christmas, my brother-in-law asked for a Travel Box - he carried all his go to stuff in the car in a shoe box, and after many years wanted something sturdier. I came up with this wooden box with removable lid, made of 1/4 inch Oak faced plywood and 1/8 inch Baltic birch plywood. I used a map of Northern California as the artwork for the inside of the box.

50 Likes

Nice box!

5 Likes

Absolutely stunning!!

5 Likes

Beautiful! Great execution.

6 Likes

That’s gorgeous. I do like the look of rounded off finger joints! and that map interior is very spiffy :smiley:

7 Likes

A fabulous upgrade! Beautiful work!

4 Likes

The rounded finger joints is because the box sits between the seats and sharp edges don’t go well with nice seats. I lined the entire inside of the box with the 1/8" baltic birch because the oak faced ply’s other side looked crappy. And what better artwork for a travel box than a map!

6 Likes

That’s a very pretty box. I’m absolutely in love with the leather handle!

5 Likes

I wish I could claim I made the leather handle, but I found them on amazon:

I did think of making my own, as I would have liked the handle to sit flat until use, but I saw the amazon selection and I was running out of time…

6 Likes

Lovely, especially the clever design of the handle.

4 Likes

lol. Took the words out of my fingers.

3 Likes

Stunning work.

3 Likes

Wonderful craftsmanship! I’ll bet the travel box is the new ”center of attention” in his vehicle.

3 Likes

The new box came out awesome, but there is a trade off.
Prior to your gift, nefarious types may have shrugged off gloming a shoe box from the car.
Now it looks tempting.
Plus to this is even though outstanding and unique, it is easily replicated.

3 Likes

I love your attention to detail. The map on the inside is just (in)genious!

2 Likes