Travel Guitar Chord Practice Device

I’m travelling from a couple weeks and I didn’t want to lose out on my guitar practice time, and I couldn’t bring my guitar. I came up with this device that recreates just the top 5 frets and allows me to practice chord changes on the go!

It’s plywood, with defocused scores to give me a place to glue in the wire frets, and then leather glued around the back to both smooth it out and give me a “handle”.
The spikes at the end allow me to loosen the strings during travel, and then tighten them up when it’s time to practice. The string itself is a high E string so it’s got mostly the right feel (though on a real guitar the strings get fatter, trying to bend a low E around the curves was not happening!)

Pretty happy with it. We’ll see how long it lasts!

To those who are going to ask, it does not sound good…here you go:

37 Likes

Nice practical cut. Hope it works while you are traveling.

12 Likes

This is ingenious, and also helpful to keep you from losing those all important fingertip calluses!

14 Likes

How’s it sound? :wink:

13 Likes

What a great idea!!

9 Likes

That is absolutely brilliant! You are so clever! I can see how that would be great for anyone who wants to “practice” playing but either can’t carry their guitars (like students on a bus, etc.) or because of where they are, they would disturb others if they made noise.

9 Likes

Like steel on plywood :slight_smile: That whole lack of a sound box is really noticeable!

13 Likes

Awesome, and wearing the Bayeux Tapestry too!

6 Likes

Besides being practical and very helpful to you…this really makes me laugh. What we won’t go through to accommodate ourselves in every way possible. Kudos to you for thinking it up!

9 Likes

An awesome idea!

7 Likes

Good eyes! It’s actually a Ukrainian recreation showing the first few months of the war. My friends run a medieval armour and clothing company and when Kyiv was first attacked they couldn’t get to their workshop, so they designed and got these printed to make money for the war effort!

9 Likes

Thank you for the link! I stand with Ukraine, and I’m going to get one if still available.

update: order is on its way

7 Likes

Amazing invention! Maybe you should be talking to Elderly Instruments!

4 Likes

YAY!

I don’t know what/who that is. Link?

5 Likes

Here ya go:

7 Likes

Ooh neat! And driving distance from me. Dangerous :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good idea, I can see putting buttons and a transmitter to Bluetooth earbuds so you can actually hear it.

3 Likes

It would have to actually sound like something you wanted to hear! I’m certain an electronic version could be created so the lack of a sound box wouldn’t matter…but that’s not my strong suit :slight_smile:

Here’s what it sounds like. Y’all have been warned!

Honestly though, my switch to the funky A (rather than 3 fingers in a row on 2-3-4, it’s 3-4-2) seems to be going smoothly thanks to this. I’m not tempted to try and play anything and therefore revert to muscle memory - my focus is entirely on forming new muscle memories!

4 Likes

Sounds kind of oriental. :laughing:

3 Likes

A little like a badly out of tune sitar.

4 Likes