Truncated icosahedron time

Epic! Just fantastic.

2 Likes

That is beautiful. How big is it? I am thinking that it is pretty big since it uses 1.5 sheets of material plus the individual pieces look small. :thinking:

2 Likes

12” diameter.

4 Likes

How long did that take to assemble??? :flushed: that’s a lot of pieces.

2 Likes

Wow, stellar! The dramatic lighting made it look like it had a red faceted material for the faces and I thought, I know you are a master of material but this is just ridiculous.

6 Likes

Wow! It almost looks like acrylic the way the light hits it.

2 Likes

It took a minute. I didn’t time myself but I’d guess about 3-4 hours. Part of it was figuring out the best way to assemble it, there are more and less efficient ways to do it, which I figured out as I went. If I did another I’d probably shave an hour off at least knowing what I do now.

Yeah that’s cheating :wink: Here’s natural light:

(Terrible pic, I’ll probably take a better one later and replace it)

In theory you could achieve that look by painting your Baltic before you start…

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that this is a Snub rectified truncated icosahedron. You definitely win the :glowforge: polyhedral championship. I think this might be my favorite piece I’ve ever seen made with a :glowforge:.

7 Likes

Yes but not quite, as the hexagonal and pentagonal faces are rotated on mine as well. That’s why I can’t quite figure out the nomenclature.

I’ll take that as a huge compliment coming from you, I think your work with finished polyhedra has been outstanding.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I feel like I’m cheating using 3D printed parts. Yours are all laser, and the results are pretty awesome. I have another new polyhedral in the works, and feel like I get more enjoyment out of figuring out the design than the actual finished piece. Each one seems to get more complex, and I like that challenge. What’s next for you?

5 Likes

It’s funny because what I am trying to figure out how to avoid the bigger/better thing, because you can stellate any of these and add parts but that doesn’t really push my buttons anymore. I designed a 1400 piece model about a year ago, and did a test build of one of the repeating corners, but in the end I just didn’t want to build it.

I built this one because I just wanted to shake off the rust of designing and building these guys.

As for what’s next, I have 2 models that I am eyeing. Converting them from 3d models in sketchup to workable lasered models is fun but time-consuming, so I am debating. Leaning toward a pentagonally tiled floret-based model, we’ll see. Doing the math on parts as we speak actually.

Hmm looks like 120 faces and 1020 connectors. Sounds like a lot, we’ll see if I do it.

6 Likes

That is fantastic! Now my brain is turning! LOL

4 Likes

These are definitely my favorite projects. I am planning on a 3D printer this year with almost the sole purpose to print the interiors so I can finally tackle one.

Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

No 3d printers involved here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ah-mazing! wow. thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

That’s one of the most amazing parts of this to me. The corners have to have been… exciting to put together

2 Likes

They can be tricky, but 2 things help here: scale, and material. Wood is flexible and has some play, so you can wiggle things into place. If you go too small, you have much less play and it gets more difficult, especially at the end when the rest of the model is reinforcing the position of the parts. For a very small taste of this process and method, check out my octahedron post, they use essentially the same construction method, just on a much smaller scale:

That one goes together in just a few minutes, piece of cake.

4 Likes

So very cool! I’m not sure I have it in me to make or design one of these but I’m more than happy to admire your creations!

2 Likes

I believe in you! :slight_smile: It’s not that complex with the right tools. As for the patience element… when it’s done and you have this really improbable object in your hands, it’s kind of worth it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is really cool. I love it!

1 Like