Truncated Octahedron Lightbox

Wish I did, but (like usual) I completely forgot to take any. Half the time I make anything I even forget to take a photo of the final result before I give it away.

No licensing terms. I would prefer that nobody just outright sell the design files, of course, but I’m under no illusion that I can control that (and I won’t pretend that I’d try to enforce any license either). I just make stuff for fun, so honestly it doesn’t make much difference to me.

Awesome!

I’m sure it was - she took a picture of a different angle of the object on the left of the first photo on the site. I didn’t realize that there were more objects in the same room. That’s really cool, and the exhibit has a great name. Thanks for finding that!

2 Likes

i made a variant on your design. Replaced your patterns with new ones composed of interlocking 12 point stars, slightly twisted. Baltic birch, unmasked, plenty of scorch. I replaced engraved edges with scored lines, not as nice but much quicker. I think the stars on the square panels are too small, should have gone with 4 x 4 vs 5 x 5. I used EscherSktch to generate the patterns. Will try lighting it with a single colorchanging led (on order). Thanks again for sharing the design.

6 Likes

Amazing work. But for the life of me I can’t figure out how to put it together. Is there any hope on instructions.

Put two connectors into the slots along an edge.
Put the other ends of those connectors into a mating edge.
Repeat.

They even included recommended order of assembly in the original post:

I didn’t keep everything separate. I didn’t realize I needed to. The instructions do not make sense.

these with this for a quick and dirty solution. wold program my own arduino based brain if I were making more.