Trying out making some bookends

Besides the corners never being 100% perfect match I’m happy with the result

41 Likes

That is absolutely adorable!

5 Likes

Came out looking swell. She will be pleased to have the books organized.

I have seen people adding tile to the bookends to give them weight.
If yours seem slippery, try a thin rubber base underneath to give them some grip.

7 Likes

They look great and the corners aren’t noticeable.

6 Likes

A good set of book ends is a wonderful thing to have! Nice design too!

7 Likes

Looks great

5 Likes

Well, they must be, since it’s bugging @kara_day . The good news is that there is a way to reduce or entirely remove those gaps, and it’s all about knowing “which way is up?”

Pretty much all cuts with the laser have an angled “profile”, where the top of your cut is slightly wider than your bottom. It looks like this (the angle is exaggerated to make it easier to see):

Screenshot (1396)

So now that you know the sides aren’t the same, it starts to matter which way you assemble your bookends. On left is what I suspect you did, and on the right is what I’d recommend if you want to get rid of that last bit of gap.

So now the next time you assemble things it’s one more little detail to keep in mind. Might get that last bit of gap. Just think a little bit ahead, because if your design isn’t symmetrical, you might need to mirror it before you cut. Don’t ask me how I know this, I mean I’ve heard it can happen to other people, and of course I never did it. Nope. not me, and not multiple times. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have found a touch with a file or sanding block can make all sides equal. Particularly with straight cuts. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thank you, this has actually explained a lot why it was always just a bit out :smile:

6 Likes

And so you should be happy, those look great! I really like the personalization, think it’s a wonderful idea. And that deer is adorable! Does it have a tab to sit it in the bookend? That would make it easy to make it interchangeable with other designs.

3 Likes

This is nice. A LOTR motif would be cool too.

2 Likes

Or get those little round rubber bumpers/feet and put on them.

1 Like

Or if you have a table saw, just skim the ends where the joint is. Easy enuf and it should also help with the adhesion (no burnt edges)

3 Likes

Yeah, would work.
I still have a huge roll of thin rubber from my electrical career and it keeps getting nipped for various projects.
You tend to use what is available, I suppose.

3 Likes

This won’t work for finger joints like we have here. They’re easily visible if you zoom in.