I wanted to try doing a 3D type etch using greyscale imaging with the new walnut I got. I decided to make a school crest for my daughter who’s a bit of a Potter fan. I started with a design I found online and fist did an auto-trace in illustrator. Then I started breaking out the individual animals into separate objects so I could layer them over some backgrounds (easier for me to work with and update later than just filling in holes around them). Then I worked on some background textures for the four quadrants of the crest.
I finally had something that should at least look interesting so I grabbed a piece of the new walnut proofgrade material and warmed up the forge to see how it worked. The first try I didn’t set it to use enough power for what I was hoping so I stopped it and started a new one with more power. I also added a new score line to surround the crest. It was looking better so I let it run.
So far so good, then I pulled the protective paper off.
Wow! I love the new finish of this material. It’s much easier to remove the paper from and looks great. Here’s a close up.
I still need to play around with it more since I want to get more depth and definition in the patterns, but pretty happy still and so was my daughter