Trying to Engrave a Pattern

Hi All!

Im new to the GF and new to using Illustrator. Im trying to convert a file so I can engrave it but cant seem to get it right. Ive tried using image trace, expanding the image etc- but its not working. Can anyone share how they do this? I saved the file as an SVG in illustrator. Strawberry

Looks like an empty SVG file…

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 24.1.3, SVG Export Plug-In . SVG Version: 6.00
 Build 0)  -->
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" id="Layer_1" x="0px" y="0px" viewBox="0 0 1296 1728" style="enable-background:new 0 0 1296 1728;" xml:space="preserve">
<g>

</g>
</svg>

Someone that knows Illustrator should chime in. How did you “export” this file? :sunglasses:

In Illustrator it should be as simple as file --> save as “myfilename” and choose .SVG from the dropdown menu.

Any other files you’re willing to share might help.

Also, the Discourse software tends to do things to files. I believe it’s it strips out rasters images from svgs.(Discourse being the software platform for these forums.) zipping the file first will stop it.

1 Like

122.zip (508 Bytes)

Zipped and attached again!

I’m downloading and taking a look now…

I’m sure you’re not trying to engrave this error message:

I saved as an SVG, but when I try to image trace, to create an outline of the file so it’s engraveable (not sure thats a word but you know what I mean), the image disappears. I can typically select the image, use image trace, expand and export to the GF.122.zip (508 Bytes)

The svg is linking to a raster file, so something is going on where it isn’t actually tracing to a vector format.

If you upload the original jpeg (122.jpg) maybe we can help get it traced in Illustrator.

Ok, here is the original jpeg file.

and are you just wanting to engrave the white parts of the image?

Yes! Usually (well once in a while after trying for an hour lol) I can trace and remove the background.

Turn to black and white, invert, adjust contrast/brightness. Upload to UI.

(edited original size)

2 Likes

That one is going to be pretty tough to get a good trace on. It’s just very low resolution with a lot of detail. Looks like @eflyguy beat me to the punch showing a better method :+1:

1 Like

Trying that now! Thanks!!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Oh and if/when you are using LiveTrace, just remember to Expand it after the Live Trace.

Make sure you use latest I just uploaded. I had done it with the smaller version from just copy/paste, so I re-did it with full size original.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong/outdated but there’s a setting on the SAVE AS-> SVG → then an option for Image Location (Embed or Link). I believe Linked is default but you want Embed so it puts a copy into the file. Apologies…I didn’t have a finger to point with.

1 Like

You can also embed any linked images from the Links panel (window/links if it’s not visible) before trying to save for any particular format.