Trying to get textured fill (from pattern in Illustrator) to work as 3D engrave

I’m pretty new here and I’m experimenting like crazy! I LOVE this thing!
Most recently, I downloaded a simple fairy door file and wanted to try to get some 3-d wood texturing onto the project. I downloaded an adobe stock photo of wood planks, made a pattern to use as a fill on the door (removing the score lines for planks), and saved it as an SVG.
The wood paneling doesn’t come across at all, though, and I’m sure I’m missing some simple, obvious step. I know these forums are so helpful, and I’ve been searching everywhere for an answer, but so far no luck. I can’t even seem to find where I’d ever seen the option for a 3D engrave!
Oh - and I’m using proof grade draft board.
I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

The 3D engrave option is available for raster images. It should be available for draftboard, acrylics, and hardwoods. If you don’t have the option, it’s possible your file is a vector image.

As for the 3D engraving stuff, I think there was a good tutorial under tips and tricks. You have to create a file with different shades, but I’m absolutely terrible at it. I only got it to work when using the tutorial about using Meshlabs with a 3D file.

7 Likes

If you’re using the software’s ability to make something into a “paintable” pattern - that won’t come through on the GFUI (if you look at the outline mode of your design, you’ll see it doesn’t actually exist). A quick turnaround is after you have the pattern exactly how you like it - select it all and save as PNG (or raster - each program is slightly different and I don’t use Illustrator). Then delete the vector version of the pattern, replace it with the newly created raster, and upload to the GFUI

2 Likes

In Illustrator you can do this as one step - select the part and “object/rasterize…” This will convert the selected item and replace in one go. Set your resolution high enough to for your engrave choices (at least 300, or match your GF engrave LPI). Do NOT check “create a clipping mask”

4 Likes

Great answers here, you can also do an image trace with Object > Image Trace > Make. When you have done this use the menu at the top to change your settings up to get the result you desire. Finally make sure you expand before sending for engraving. Depending on your pattern you may even be able to get away with scoring it instead of engraving.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the generous support! I’m really appreciating this community!

1 Like

Wow, I’ve learned so much even since having initiated this post! And I can see that there will never be a lack of new things to learn here!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.