Turn Over Chains

Last year I laser cut a glitter acrylic turnover chain for my nephews because they love the Wisconsin Badgers. Both myself and my dad graduated from UW, and we watch a lot of the football games together. This year they asked if I could create some for their school because they’re on the spirit squad, and everybody dresses up on football and spirit days. Then my other nephews wanted one for their school. I think I’m done with the turnover chains for a while, but they definitely got a lot of attention and everybody loved them. Caution, lots of glitter acrylic was harmed in making these.

The original Wisconsin turn over chain.

Cookies! Apparently an inside joke for this middle school squad.

36 Likes

What makes it a “turnover” chain? Never heard that term before.

8 Likes

Everyone wishes they had a cool uncle like you!

9 Likes

So cool

6 Likes

It originated with the Miami Hurricanes, and they would break out a big gaudy chain and medallion after a turn over. There have been many copies including a turn over belt, trucker hat, etc. The best part of making a Wisconsin turn over chain is that they beat the Miami Hurricanes twice in bowl games in recent years. It’s silly, but a fun project that gets my nephews involved.

16 Likes

Lol… I feel like I am the poster child for “tell me you don’t watch football without telling me you don’t watch football”. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Wow! Totally cool! Tons of fun!

5 Likes

I had never heard that term either. Interesting. Weird interesting. But neat work.

9 Likes

What great memories! Well done!

6 Likes

Cool! I’ve never seen such unabashedly tacky chains before in my life. I’m assuming you get them online. Who knew?

9 Likes

Costume jewelry from Amazon.

7 Likes

I think those look great! Fans love stuff like that, and it’s sure easier than having to wash the face paint off! How heavy do they end up being with the chain? Or is the chain made of plastic?

3 Likes

The acrylic is pretty heavy, but the chain is plastic.

2 Likes

My first game at Camp Randall Miami beat us 51-3, but we scored first. So that was the chant along with who cares we came to see the band. That was pre-Barry of course, when the onion ran an article saying the new turf being installed was designed for a punt-orientated offense.

As much fun as it was beating Miami does feel good.

4 Likes

I was at that game. I was in the UW Marching Band. “We Scored First!”

4 Likes

I came to see what pubultrastar made!

4 Likes

Long time ago. I’m the snare drum to the right of the bass drum but behind the drum major.

9 Likes

I didn’t know it was called a turnover chain, and didn’t know anything about how it all got started.
I saw how the Denver news station started this thing called 9News swag chain where they give out something like that to a high school athlete each week. lol Looks just like these (but of course has the station’s logo). (the one for this week is here)

3 Likes

These look great. Love the cookie turnover chain! :cookie:

2 Likes

Your nephews are adorable.

I love love love those chains!! Are the chains plastic?

3 Likes