Tutorial: 3D Engraving Depth Map Concept, using 2D Design Software

So it works! (Stickers not-withstanding!) Chuckle! (Thanks for testing it Mark.) :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

No problem. I’d been waiting for a good chance to try something posted.

6 Likes

I just tried uploading the SVG to the forum but get a message that the size can not be determined and that maybe the file is corrupted. Not sure how to fix that, tried re-saving, exporting, etc. with no luck.

So, here’s a vector PDF file if anybody feels like working with it.

Glowforge Logo with Background.pdf (4.9 KB)

9 Likes

I’m actually forging another thing right now but if no one else has by later, I’ll try that on the back of the piece I already tried

1 Like

Awesome job. I have a project queued up waiting for my GF and its 3D engraving. It’ll help close off something I’ve been trying to do in different media for 2 years now (3 by the time I get my GF).

1 Like

Thanks for making this! This is exactly how it worked in my head. Nice to see my brain still works! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here you go.

15 Likes

You can also just zip the SVG. We have to do that with the tutorial files.

3 Likes

The top right image is quite the file. Will be cool to see how this prints. Thanks so much. So many projects. So little time.

2 Likes

Thanks! I remembered seeing this post. I think this is specific to Illustrator because Inkscape doesn’t have the same options. I did try changing the units in the file in Inkscape though, but it didnt seem to help.

I’ve posted Inkscape SVG’s before without any issues so I’m not sure what’s going on.

That is the file that @markevans36301 ran and posted above.

2 Likes

It actually depends on the category you are posting to - some of them have more permissions than others.

Try zipping it.

4 Likes

So interesting, the PDF is handled so differently than a jpg. Each color/element gets broken out as its own so the control is unlimited.

4 Likes

This is a really marvelous conceptual basis for how it works!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this explanation and the pdf. You rock!

1 Like

Mike, I keep coming back to this, and I keep learning from it. Thank you!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

1 Like

This is still happening… quite disappointing for ProofGrade materials. If I flip it over, it doesn’t recognize it, and I manually put it in… Any fix for this?

As of last time I ordered the QR is still a sticker. The good news is you can flip it and simply manually enter the :proofgrade: type by going to the upper left and doing a search for your :proofgrade: You have to do this with scraps as well.

1 Like

That works for me… not an issue! Just a slight inconvenience, but it makes sense.