Two-Color Acrylic Sheet - Engraving on acrylics anyone?

This stuff STINKS!! Even with the exhaust hose blowing outside…

2 Likes

Yes, it surely does! :smile:

But what were your settings?

Johnson Plastics just sent me their acrylic product line sample binder (as an apology for a string of goofs on a big order) and their selection of 2-color acrylic is insane. It really makes me wish I had time to play more!

1 Like

@jspellen I did a test today based on the sign you were looking for…

Here is a shot of the result:

A bit of bleed into the white. This was Red on White btw…

here is the svg:
zap6

Here were my settings in the GF…Notice I ignored certain layers…
Also, I set it as Proofgrade Black Acrylic

I hope that helps!

Also, I removed the plastic film and masked the front and back before engraving and cutting…

5 Likes

WOW!!! HAHAHAHA!!! This is freaking AMAZING!!!

I have the inventables here as well. What I have to do is this (tell me if I am right):
Load the .svg file
Once it appears in GF, put the proofgrade in
Then aligned it and push the button?

Oh, wait… Let me review the settings.
Hold on! I will try to record this as it is happening (both on the computer and on the GF).

Thank YOU!!! Thank YOU!!!

Yes, load the file, put in material, ensure GF scans the material so you can do proper placement…select the settings I selected and press print!

I’d recommend masking the Inventables material (if you use it!). Remove the clear film off of the color and then mask both sides…BTW The 2-color plastic stinks…so be ready for that!

Use/look-at my GF settings. I ignored certain parts of the file to get the mix you were looking for. There are different ways it will come out if you select different options. I wanted to simplify that in creating the file, however I am not an Inkscape/AI super-user!!

I’m glad it will help you out!

1 Like

You can prevent the red bleed on white by doing a second pass on the engrave. It can be much less power. It will burn off the red dust. It doesn’t need to be a high power as the first. I made my second pass defocused to smooth out the surface.

5 Likes

I’ll have to try that next time! Thank you!

Won’t depositing make the cut wider, creating more red dust though?

I wish this plastic didn’t smell so badly, else I’d do more tests. I love the idea of it, just can’t handle the smell!

From my experience the defocusing just takes the edge off the sharp edges of the overlapping passes of the etch. On my first pass time he field areas had a rough pattern. My defocus pass burned off the red dust and got rid of the pattern.

1 Like

Where did you purchase the acrylic?

Inventables has it.

https://www.inventables.com/categories/materials/acrylic?utf8=✓&selected_filters[Effect][]=2+color

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

I purchased all of my items from Inventables.

How does one go about defocusing? My two part white on red back has a ton of white residue left over.