Two machines up and running - my shed is running out of space!

This is just the cutting area. on top of every shelf, under every table I’ve got scraps, acrylic, more scraps, post proofgrade, even more scraps, samples, test runs, stuff for photos, some scraps.

Oh and more packaging that I want too.

So here’s my process to try and manage this:

1. I only buy packaging in 5 sizes: small and large envelope, 10x12 shallow, 10x12 deep, 40x30x30 inch massive. (though all that still needs plastic bags, bubble wrap, craft paper padding etc)

2. I come up with several products which fit my standard scraps (the drawers on the shelves are all from a standard size scrap I have).

3. I cut down on the number of materials I actually use. Instead of a several different ply (walnut, oak, cherry, birch, pine etc) I go to just pine and stain/varnish to get the colour scheme I want.

4. Any scrap smaller than 8 x 8 inches goes in the bin!!! (don’t know if I can do this)

5. Sample products get photographed once and either sold as examples or go in the bin.

16 Likes

Pardon me while I play my tiny violin for you. /s

OK, I’m officially jealous. Not just the setup, but the organization. I wish I was like that. Congratulations on your fine workspace!

While we are at it, how do you vent your units? Straight through the wall?

2 Likes

Venting uses two external fans through the silver duct you can just see on the bottom left and then out through the floor into a further duct that takes it about 10 feet from the shed.

The shed walls are about 3 inches thick, the floor only 1/2 inch. So it was easier to cut a whole in the corner of the floor than in the wall.

That said, I wish now I had vented through the floor directly under the GF’s and had a duct chimney instead. It would be better to keep that ducting run much shorter. Trouble is I can’t actually get to the back of the shed now - I could when I first put it in.

Glowforge in a shed is the way to go if you can do it. Never have to worry about laser smells in the house

4 Likes

At the very least that would be engraved “cards” to hand out,

2 Likes

I think it depends on the material.

Baltic birch that you’re getting for 0.75$ per full sheet? Toss it. Your last scrap piece of really good purpleheart? Keep.

I almost never come back to scraps, so I keep like 2 or maybe three scrap pieces of any given material and then toss the rest. My space is at a premium.

3 Likes

When I get a big sheet full of holes I turn it into a bunch of very much smaller “pieces” that will fit in a few coffee cans, tossing out the pieces without hope of being useful.

2 Likes

I’ve been in business for myself in several different sectors and haven’t handed out a business card in 20 years!!!

You are not wrong though, they could be something - and so could the other three hundred bits of random scrap I’ve got filling up space.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve even made boxes to keep the scrap pieces in. Still haven’t used them! It does break my heart throwing away good stuff - but after a while you realise you are just a hoarder like on the telly

2 Likes

I want your shed. I thought the pictures on the wall were windows, now I’m contemplating a shed in my small yard…wonder if I can build one with all my scraps :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Damn, had to go back and look. Those are pictures!

3 Likes

What kind of unit do use to keep the shed cool inside? Just curious…

I’m in the UK - keeping it cool inside doesn’t really enter into it :slight_smile:

Serious answer: during the height of summer, for about 4 days a year, it gets to about 30C in there, so can’t always run the GF, but then I don’t run at those temperatures either.

4 Likes

Well, I was going to ask for your scraps, but never mind…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.