Ultra slow stick battery tray

Love the plane but the battery tray was horrid.

31 Likes

Nice practical cut.

9 Likes

Out of curiosity - what did the old one look like? Was there a significant weight change by switching?

7 Likes

The old one was molded plastic, this adds several grams but far less than the difference between using a 1800ma and a 2200ma battery so it won’t be noticeable.

10 Likes

Great job! It is so nice to solve our problems at the home base.

6 Likes

Perfect!

6 Likes

Is that long silver rectangle the battery?

3 Likes

Battery is not showing, let me get it all mounted up and I’ll post a quick with the battery installed.

6 Likes

De plane, de plane. Great solution!

4 Likes

mounted and ready to fly.

the project consists of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood, some velcro, a zip-tie, a few drops of thin CA, and a few drops of E6000.

9 Likes

That is seriously ultra-light. The plane itself. I’m surprised the wires holding up the propeller don’t get all twisted eventually!

3 Likes

That square aluminum tube that acts as the fuselage is amusingly strong but yes, everything is parsed down to a minimum.

5 Likes

So if that is the case, a pair of 3D printed parts might actually shave even more weight off (negligible, but still)

We can get all the engineers in here to “help” you :rofl:

6 Likes

I think we have enough experts in different fields here that we could probably design a pretty darn awesome RC plane with almost all of the airframe coming off the :glowforge: or a 3d printer.

Fully 3d printed planes are a thing but I don’t like the idea as they are so fragile. Makes a lot more sense to me to 3d print bits and pieces.

RC planes have traditionally been made from balsa but I wish I knew more about materials engineering as I think it would be quite cool to design a plane using more common materials.

7 Likes