Ultra Thin Veneers

Hi All

Has anyone tried using ultra thin veneer (.01" to .016")? I have an idea for a project but would require very thin wood I could wrap around a cylinder. I bought some test sheets that should get here in a few days, but just though I would see if anyone has any feedback or starting points especially for engrave settings?

If you search “engraving veneers” you may find info you seek.

2 Likes

Hi! welcome to the community.
There is so much variance in different materials that the best way to determine the settings needed is testing. It’s a treasure hunt!
you can just upload a vector line and test on the edge of the material to dial in what is needed to cut through. Get an idea from your search and start there. Enjoy the adventure! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Generally veneers run at about 0.025 (1/42"). They are thin enough to wrap on things.

Exhibit A:

1 Like

Lots of woods can be wrapped around a cylinder. I found that 1/8 basswood worked very well, and even tried .25 oak plywood. The trick is to bend it very wet and slow and then let it dry.

With this…

And this for thicker stuff…

That looks really nice I appreciate the different types of wood you used and colors. How hard was it once you went for it? How did you figure the angles and widths of the veneers?

Or steam it, rockler has a steaming kit, it will bend easily, they did 3/4” oak in store demo.

1 Like

I did not have steam available, but made a lot f pieces using the methods noted.

1 Like

Looks great! It’s just that using water on wood is anathema to me. But you’re right, it does work. And yes I know steam is just water.

1 Like

It is actually mostly alcohol bending that has the advantage that it evaporates very quickly.

1 Like

Gotcha

1 Like