Unable to get fine cuts. Everything getting blown out

Oh, that’s fantastic! I’m glad it worked for you.

In my description above I forgot to mention that I had to do a Pathfinder—Unite command after doing the Outline Stroke. Otherwise you will not get “innies” and “outies”. I hope that’s clear.

I will edit the info in my posting to include this.

3 Likes

Perfect example of what an awesome resource this community is. Help comes at you from every direction. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

HUGE thanks to Cynd11 for the Illustrator help!

Hear is the final remake of this file. I’ll post it to Thingiverse as a remake in a couple days, wanted to make it a Glowforge exclusive for a bit!

Enjoy! It’s REALLY beautiful. Formatted to fit one sheet of proofgrade.

Hmmm…not sure why this isn’t uploading correctly. What am I doing wrong?
Apparently I can’t upload SVG files, so here’s the .ai Forest_Tea_Light.ai (1001.9 KB)

Added PDF for those without Illustrator.Forest_Tea_Light.pdf (1.1 MB)

6 Likes

Oh cool!

Everything came through with a black fill instead of stroke; must be your export settings. But it was an easy fix–just select all and change to stroke, no fill.

You did a great job–the panels are fantastic!

Edit: just noticed one little thing, there are about 3 stray points. They will laser, so you’d best remove them (Select…Object…Stray Points, then Delete).

1 Like

It shows up properly on my machine when I open the SVG?

As it is, it defaults to an engrave. You can convert to cut, but better to indicate that in the design file.

Take the fill out of the panels that make up the sides and bottom. Just use a stroke. Then the trees images need to have no fill and a different color stroke(or the same color since you are doing all cuts here.) I just like to separate things like this for another level of control. This will ensure you have the ability to arrange the center cutout to cut first. Actually should have made the forest black and the panel outline blue for a default cut order.

foresttealight

9 Likes

That’s how I have it in Illustrator…and how it looks in SVG on my PC, and in glowforge…weird.

In my file, I have the panels set to black, and the outside panel cuts set to blue, so you easily pick which do which. This is really ticking me off. LOL The file doesn’t post the way I made it.

So in Illustrator it is only strokes with no filled paths? Something with the export process and the AI folks can help you with that.

But I have it exported into SVG, and opened on my machine, and it’s fine. When I uploaded it, it turned to all black squares. I watched it in the preview panel.

And your illustrator file has no fills?

What machine? the Glowforge I assume. It’s fine? Screen shot of where you see this as all outlines?

I get this in the design space

And this in the operations space

Instead of Export, why don’t you try Save As…SVG. I do that and go with the defaults and have no trouble.

2 Likes

I thought maybe I did a Save Copy as, so I redid it, and I did use Save as. The SVG is fine for me, when I upload it into here using the upload command, it turns all black. I posted the original AI in my original post. Hopefully that will be of more use.

1 Like

Ok. So this is a Discourse processing SVG issue. The Glowforge version is good.

1 Like

Cool. You get the AI in the original post? I edited out the messed up SVG and reuploaded the AI in its stead.

1 Like

I was using the original SVG that posted as a bunch of black rectangles. I just cleaned it up in Inkscape and reposted as I saved if from Inkscape. The screen shots I posted were using that original SVG you posted that appeared black on Discourse. It was all engrave on the Glowforge.

I’ve seen the black fill on others’ uploads as well. Maybe we should tag @discourse to take a look.

1 Like

Yeah, I figured it had to be server side, I’ve never had an issue like this before.

Thanks @cynd11 and @kittski for your help and hard work.

Thanks @willcfc for sharing the file. The final print looks great!

I’m moving this to Everything Else so the conversation can continue.

3 Likes

SVG files are tricky. Different programs provide different data points. Can
you upload an SVG that has issues so I can pass it along to engineering?

1 Like

I’m away from my computer so can’t get a file right now, but here’s another upload from today that I think suffers from the same problem:

All the strokes have been converted to fills.