United States Map Done!

Yeah this is stunning, well done!

1 Like

Wow that is fantastic

1 Like

Thatā€™s gorgeous!!

1 Like

I love the clean lines of it - and the stains go so well with the house decor!

2 Likes

I hate to be that guy, because this is lovely butā€¦ Delaware and Rhode Island are swapped in the map. Delaware is next to Pennsylvania. Rhode Island is next to MA.

3 Likes

Well the states arenā€™t swapped. Theyā€™re correct by shape. The labels though are. Good catch!

4 Likes

Thank goodness it was put together like a puzzle. That make an easier fix. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh my! How embarrassing! Good catch, and easy fix. There were so many little pieces my eyes were getting crossed working on this.

2 Likes

Fortunately you did it this year. Up until last year, Rhode Island wasnā€™t the stateā€™s official name. It was ā€œState of Rhode Island and Providence Plantationsā€ and held the title to the longest state name. But the legislature decided the Plantation reference was politically insensitive (although the plantation reference preceded the Southā€™s use of the term by a couple hundred years). So they changed it officially to State of Rhode Island. Would have been a feat to have engraved the long name on the little puzzle piece :smiley:

5 Likes

I had no idea about any of thisā€¦ that would have been very long to put into that 50 nifty United States song.

2 Likes

My family has been in New England since the 1600s :smiley: A lot of time to soak up useless trivia.

The Providence in Providence Plantation had to do with Godā€™s saving the colonists and providing them a land they could practice their religion and build a community. The Plantation was the term for the creation of a settlement by colonists (going back the the Plantations of Ireland when England civilized Ireland by taking land and sending colonists to take over). Providence Plantation was the one founded by Roger Williams (which everyone read about in grade school history) but there were 3 others in what is now Rhode Island and they joined to form the Providence Plantations plural.

As a result it was the smallest state with the longest name. Now itā€™s just the smallest state.

Oh, and they were the first to renounce the English Crown but the last to ratify the Constitution (they boycotted the Constitutional Convention).

And thatā€™s the rest of the story.

3 Likes

All fixed! Thank you for pointing out my mistake. Fortunately it was an easy fix!

9 Likes

What are the outer dimensions? Iā€™m guessing about 3ā€™ x 2ā€™? Did you have any trouble finding the small bits (Hawaiian Islands, etc) after cutting?

You must have very steady hands. The only way I can think of to ever do something similar would be to assemble it face-down, sticky bits up, and press the backboard down. And hope they all stuck the first time without shiftingā€¦

1 Like

The frame is 38ā€x24ā€. The states are all attached with double sided foam tape. My hands are pretty steady, but I think anyone can do it. I was going to use CA glue, but I was afraid because once that sticks, itā€™s game over. Some of the smaller bits along the Aleutian were lost, or just too small to realistically attach.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen people do this and get a ā€˜rippleā€™, or a ā€˜riverā€™ in places because of spacing issues. I guess in a way itā€™s just a fancy jigsaw puzzle, and you put it together one piece at a time. The foam tape would have to be quite forgiving for me.

I suppose you could cut the map in larger chunks scoring the states within that chunk. That make the smaller states on the east easier to piece together. But then the grain of the wood might not look right. Or, just use slow setting glue like wood glue.

1 Like

Excellent!

We in Delaware understand. It is why we call it Delawhere. The map looks great!

5 Likes

Love your humor; welcome to the forum!

1 Like

My son lives in Delawhereā€¦Iā€™ll have to ask him if heā€™s heard that oneā€¦funny!

3 Likes