United States Map Done!

Finally finished the United States map. Funny how when you finish a project you think of so many other ways it could have been done. There are plenty of things I would change if I did this again. But, at some point you have to make up your mind or the project will never get done. I may end up selling this one and then making a different one changing a few things in the next design.

95 Likes

That turned out beautiful!

4 Likes

Well done. Every project is a learning experience of things to do differently and things that work well. My problem is remembering which is which as well as where I put the notebook with settings and notes.

7 Likes

Looks great! I always do that…I get something done and see a millions things I should change! LOL

5 Likes

Gorgeous - and the backing board is lovely too!

5 Likes

Look great, what would you do different?

1 Like

I think I would change the frame and make the title a little bigger. I’d also label the oceans. Of course I could still do that pretty easily. The colors are nice but, I originally wanted to do a subtle American flag for the background. I took the simple way instead of just trying to do what I saw in my head.

3 Likes

Very nice indeed!

1 Like

This is beautiful ~ bravo! Can you describe how you made the backing and what type of wood the map is made of? I can envision your flag background idea, but honestly I think the simplicity of how it is now really showcases the wood & textures (& makes a nice clean, neutral decor). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Clean and simple is timeless and always works.
Great addition to any household decoration.

That is the beauty of being able to design and create your own work with the :glowforge:

Congratulations @mccastro777 !

2 Likes

Great work! Love it!

1 Like

The wood for the states is 1/8 inch Baltic birch plywood finished with a sun bleached stain and clear coated with a krylon spray. The backing is a box of project wood from Lowe’s. They come in a box and are basically planks that you would attach to a wall. They were cheap. I thing $13 for the box, although I had to run them through a table saw to clean up the edges. And some were pretty warped. Anyway, they are glued to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, then finished with an ebony stain. No clear was applied to the backing since I liked the sheen of the wood without a clear coat. The states (all individual) are attached with 3mm thick foam double-sided tape. That gives it the floating look.

8 Likes

Wow it turned out great, I think you did the rght thing to address the different wood tones across those few states. The background looks excellent, lovely contrast between light and dark and rustic and modern.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed description! I am learning a lot. I’m going to look for the sun bleached stain (haven’t ever used it). And the sheen/texture of the project wood is so nice. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Great project! Nice staining job!

1 Like

Love it! I really like how you put the capitols of the states as well (well, most of them anyway!). I love your finishes, and although I think the flag would be nice, I wonder if it wouldn’t take away from the clean/sharpness of the look. Of course, I can’t see inside your head for your vision. :slight_smile: Nice job!

1 Like

Yeah, some of those east coast states are so small I couldn’t even fit the state name in them. There was no way I could include the capitals. I was going to add them to the outside of the map and have a string or something pointing to the capital, but decided against it.

3 Likes

I knew that was the reason. I just wanted to tease you. Please don’t be offended.

2 Likes

Love the idea of the flag in the background. I have been working on one like that for a while, but have never found the time to finish the files.

2 Likes

Looks great on the wall!

1 Like