Upgrade to pro, cost, slot mod

True, but the 1-year warranty on $10k CNC mill that I bought nearly 10 years ago was invalidated if the owner disassembled, which I did in order to get it into our basement. They still honored a couple of warranty issues a few months down the road even after I told them about the disassembly. Their comment was something like “that problem wouldn’t have been caused by disassembly so we’ll cover it.”

I’d expect GF to cover warranties in situations that @subatomic mentioned, on a case by case basis.

[quote=“rpegg, post:40, topic:6919”]
Let’s face it, 90% of the folks will lie and say they were very careful and nothing they did could have possibly caused an issue. [/quote]

I’d hate to deal with that class of people on a regular basis. As I recall, that CNC company did “fire” a customer that was especially belligerent and ill-mannered. Sent a truck to pick up the mill and refunded all of his money.

8 Likes

25 Likes

Working tech support for a university, we used to get it all the time for laptop repairs. It was like pulling teeth to find out what happened to the machine, despite the fact that most of our machines came with 100% damage coverage. Everything from beer spills to falling off the roof of a moving vehicle was claimed as “just stopped working.”

10 Likes

Probably just about the same time it hit the pavement.

9 Likes

This video from LinusTechTips reminded me of the warranty talk in this thread. It also made me lament living on planet Earth.

2 Likes

I bet somebody could possibly fashion some sort of skirt or bladder to help keep the smoke in. I dunno.

2 Likes

If I choose to upgrade to Pro, will I have to wait longer to receive my unit? Does it change my “place in line”?

Scarce minutes so not going to search right this second but pretty certain @dan has said it does not change your place and pro and basic will be shipping nearly simultaneously.

1 Like

Thank you. After a little search, I was indeed quickly able to find two posts from Dan confirming that you would retain your place in line.

1 Like

Wondering if anyone decided to “widen” the basic model?

I’ve been thinking about this allot. (Wanted to etch the bottom of skateboard decks, centered) thinking about fabricating custom rubber/silicone “inserts” to plug the hole air tight around the board, also thinking about cutting the bottom off so this can be set on top of things, again, with a silicone/rubber seal.

Anyone know where there is a full SPEC (expanded or see through wireframe) of the Basic model to double check where components are? I figure 1 year warranty wait is enough time to plan out that kind of thing.

Not widen, but “lengthen” the basic model, yes.

README (Read all the cautions in the README, not my problem if you poke out an eye):

SVG:

If you print one and use it, post pictures!
And don’t forget eye protection, and laser class4 certification is required before you use this.

20 Likes

Nice job :slight_smile: That was something I found early on with the PRU but didn’t make any noise about because of the whole safety issue - I was using GF’s laser and didn’t want them to have any ancillary liability because I did (& posted) something that defeated their safety interlocks. It’s one of those “if you can figure it out, you’re probably smart enough to use it safely” and “if you need instructions, you probably aren’t ready to use it that way” kind of things :smile:

This does make it into an operating Class IV laser and so all appropriate safety precautions should be taken. It also opens up a fairly large air intake/exhaust hole that can result in more smells & smoke in the room - if you have an inline booster fan in your exhaust hose that can help overcome the larger than designed for opening.

BTW, I believe 2 of your magnets are superfluous. I only need two and it looks like you’re running 4 in there - 2 on the sides and 2 on the top.

2 Likes

Yes and yes. Class4 and get yer certification, etc. for sure.

But for the magnets, two on top trip the sensors and two on the sides hold the panel on. From what I found the two on top were needed while the side ones were convenient to snap into place.

1 Like

Hmmm…my sensors were on the side. I haven’t looked at the Pro. Wonder if they moved things after the PRU.

Idk. I have a basic. I don’t know what PRU is… another person on the Facebook group who discovered the sensor trick had the same top oriented (under the lid) positioning, and also had a basic

The PRU was a Pre-Release Unit. A bunch of us had them starting back in Dec 2016 (@marmak3261). We ran them through their paces before they went to production manufacturing. All of them were Basics except some of them (mine included) had a Pro tube. But since they were pre-production units they used our learnings to tweak the final production units.

4 Likes

You’re my hero!

2 Likes

Mine is not prerelease.

Neither is mine anymore. In fact I think the last PRU was returned this month. But the last time I needed to do something with the front door down was before I got the Pro so I haven’t checked to see where the sensors are now. Seems they may have moved or added some.

1 Like

Mine (basic) are on top.

4 Likes