Upgrade to pro, cost, slot mod

How well does this Semi-Pro slot work for you? Do you get a lot of smoke/debris? Do you run it in your house, or in a shop/garage/etc? Have you looked at possibly installing some type of brush skirt guard?

There is already a soft silicone flap on the slot. I get zero smoke through the slots because the machine is negatively pressured when running with exhaust fans.

1 Like

I run it in my garage. No more smell than normal. The air pressure inside the unit sucks, literally, so it’s not like smoke is coming out the front slot…

1 Like

@subatomic, I haven’t taken pictures yet, so I have none to post, but I’m loving my “semi-pro” slot mod right now, and wanted to send a very belated thanks for the file. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is Awesome!

1 Like

will be looking at this when i finally get my machine back. need to order some glasses.

Well, I made this like a year ago and I haven’t used it yet, as I still don’t have the right magnets, but it’s still fun to see when other people make your design, so here’s a pic!

8 Likes

I just used the magnets I had on hand. :wink:

1 Like

Remembered to take a photo today:

IMG_2932

I used my flat bar magnets, since I didn’t have the little ones, and super-glued them on the top edge. It pressure-fits into place, so I don’t really need the ones on the sides. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

These look great. Thanks for posting! So cool. And get some magnets! :wink: :wink: (Or use magnets you have on hand and modify the vector file to fit those instead). Good luck

3 Likes

Can you take a picture of you how you did the magnets

ever forward, ever hippie

If you do mod your glowforge I REALLY recommend you get a pair of laser safe glasses
it’s a $50 investment that can save you THOUSANDS in eye damage.

I already have a pair :grinning:

1 Like

I’m not where I can take a photo of it right now, but I just put thin bar magnets on the top edge, where the pattern has the cutouts for cube magnets. Tape them on and do a trial run before gluing, to make sure you’ve got the right location.

I have the pro model but needed to engrave longer pieces of wood charcuterie boards so think this will work but was just wondering what the maximum height of wood pass through slot is with this design? Some of mine are long tree slices and can be an inch to an inch and 1/4 high

Keep in mind that pass through slot only allows a height of 1/4”. Not sure what kind of projects you are looking to do. I made the mistake of thinking I could engrave longer and deeper pieces through pass through window

Modify the slot in your design software before you cut it.