Upgrade you Laser cutting power

has anyone upgraded there glowforge from 40 watts to a higher Lasor tube to a 60, 90, or 100 watts if so what type of tube you used, and where did you buy it and where did you get it an how hard was it to change.

Not possible. Power is dictated by the power supply, not the tube.

The tube is also not any standard dimension, so no aftermarket tube would work.

7 Likes

you can’t do it (or no one has done it on here that I know of)

Jonathan

1 Like

People have upgraded to Epilogs, Universals and Trotecs, but you can’t change the Glowforge in this way.

4 Likes

GF uses custom tubes, there’s only 40w and 45w versions.

3 Likes

Each case is balanced to what they are designed to do. There is some overlap but mixing is like putting dragster slicks on your ATV.

1 Like

I’m willing to wager there’s only 1. The power difference is modulated by the power supply and throttled down for basic/plus models :slight_smile:

Kind of like Teslas and their battery range that is one thing until it’s not and an OTA update lets drivers in catastrophes get more miles per charge.

7 Likes

Yes. Regarding Teslas, there is also a speed boost available for $ with an OTA update that will bring the standard Model 3 close to the spec of the performance version.

3 Likes

Did the earlier 45W Plus models have the peltier cooler and huge heatsink?

2 Likes

I don’t believe so. Only the pro.

I thought that I read the Plus was 45W with better cooling, when I decided to go for the Plus. Only to find out that is was now 40W and the cooling was the same as the Basic.

So I think @eflyguy might be right, if you have the higher wattage more cooling is required.

This is what was archived:

No enhanced cooling for the plus.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, it was the improved speed I think I was thinking of. But, without the extra power, is it really any faster?

But I bet the tube is the same. They could reduce the power via software for Basic/Plus so it doesn’t require the peltier cooler but then for the Pro machines with the cooler they could open up the power throttle a little.

That would let them have just 1 tube to manufacture/stock which is a much better logistics situation than having two tubes and needing to manage those two skus.

1 Like

I agree!

Jonathan

But as your other thread shows, not the case. They chose manufacturing complexity over the simplicity of a single SKU. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like