Upgraded LED Nightlight: Clear Proofgrade Acrylic

My kids will definitely want one of these. Great job!

:squeeee: EXACTLY THIS!

I have been waiting to try the scan a part / dupe a part workflow since Day 1.

Thanks for showing this. :grin:

3 Likes

love this project… great job.

Your custom nightlight idea, where the kids make the design, is brilliant!! My son’s preschool class would really dig that!

1 Like

Awesome, glad to see some genuine usefulness projects popping up now that people have done their test cuts/engraves. And a great clean end result.

Ok. I couldn’t let it rest. Your comment made me think of another way of doing this, along with @jamesdhatch’s suggestion.

I put masking over the original reflector, trimmed it around the edges and placed it in the bed over a dark background. I realized I just needed the contrast here.

This didn’t quite make it all the way around to be able to differentiate a cut. The bottom is pretty precise and detailed. The shadows in the cutouts interfere with a good scan.

This one work out that I could get a complete outline and delete what I didn’t want.

This will work out.

This is the cut file placed around the original image.

This is original overlaid on the copy. Is pretty close. The reproduced part is slightly larger and the holes for the screws are just a little small. A rat tail file would clean it up enough to fit perfectly.

I’d call this a success. I think if I had used a whiter masking and elminated the shadows around the bottom mount holes, we’d have a replica without needing any post processing.

Thanks for the input everyone.

19 Likes

Thank you, sir! This is a nice confirmation for some of my planned projects (and most likely many unplanned ones).

7 Likes

Very good! Can hardly wait… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Since the original piece of plastic is a throw away piece, could you just ink it? I recall some visitor leaving some stamping inks with you. Or will the ink just run off the plastic?

4 Likes

That’s my thought for an easy way to get an outline too.

2 Likes

Or just spray paint. ?:thinking:

Could use stencils to do designs on or stamps or blasting with sand or etching. I do now have this extra plastic to deal with.

1 Like

Acrylic paint would stick nicely in the etch marks.

1 Like

Sure, but Marion didn’t strike me as a tagger. He seems to be a little old school, but not old, old, old school.

6 Likes

I do have a can of black spray paint though!

5 Likes

What if you printed a front and back as you appear to be doing here, but put different designs on each to give the final light some subtle depth? Not sure the distance between the two would be great enough to see it… but random thoughts. Maybe force the distance trickery a bit with some perspective in the design.

1 Like

Humans have been writing on walls ever since there were humans and walls. I would argue that it is in our nature to do so.

22 Likes

Oh, love the pic of Sr. Mary Krylon. She is known for her religious themed graffiti. It is rumored that before each installation, she says, “Let us spray.”

36 Likes

Best. Name. Ever.

4 Likes

First one is a shopping list. :innocent:

4 Likes