UPS Interception?

Does anyone know if I can intercept a package in the UPS trip? My GF is in NJ! An hour away. They drove from Illinois to NJ in 12 hours, but they still plan to take two days to drive an hour south. I’d gladly make the drive instead of working.

1 Like

You should be able to go into UPS My Choice, click on the package in your tracking, click delivery change, and choose pickup package at a UPS location.

1 Like

I’ve never been able to get MyChoice to allow a change. I know others have been successful. I called a few days ago and they said delivery needed to be attempted first.

Another thing to consider… When you disrupt typical processes, things get lost.

1 Like

Sounds like you talked to the wrong person. Did you try changing it in the app or on the website? I would try that before calling.

Actually, I logged in again and now it says 9:15-1:15, rather than just “end of day.” The end of day was bothering me, because I couldn’t be there all day. I’ll just wait like the rest of the world. Besides @Tom_A has a good point. I’d also likely need three forms of ID to disrupt the chain.

Is now a bad time to tell you that they missed their estimate by a few hours on my delivery?

3 Likes

I know that’s a possibility. I’m just going to work from home all day. But, then if it arrives at 9:15 I’ll be not working at all. I’ll be setting it up. Worse case, it goes to the UPS Access Point for Saturday.

Oddly, the latest UPS My Choice update not only says the 4 hours time window, but there is a line below that saying that it was originally planned for Monday delivery. Which is completely false. It never showed that until now. They are trying to make me feel thankful that it will arrive early.

3 Likes

UPS limits the details on the default tacking page unless you are logged in.

Usually the shipper would have to change that… (to prevent people from redirecting packages… ie thieves)

1 Like

This is correct. UPS intercept is a function that the shipper needs to initiate. In part, it is to prevent theft. But it is also a matter of cost. When you initiate a package intercept, UPS charges for that. They can’t let the intended receiver do that and have the shipper billed for changes. Otherwise, international buyers could go in and intercept a package and request a shipping address change from say Chicago Illinois to London, England. Sneaky, but it ain’t gonna work.

we had fraud committed against our credit card and some unfortunate internet vendors when packages were re-routed to UPS stores. I would not be surprised if UPS were not allowing that to happen anymore. (They shipped to the card’s billing address to get the order(s) out the door of the vendors, then re-routed after it was in-transit using a myChoice account they setup in my wife’s name, and showed up at a UPS store with fake ID.) Poor music shop in Wisc. had no idea what hit them…

1 Like

On a lighter note, I am as excited as you are! I got my tracking numbers today!

Generally, mychoice will let you schedule a two hour window within the regular delivery time for $8, redirect or reschedule it for $5, or change it to hold at the depot for pickup for free.