Used up some scraps for Halloween

I decided to give out something other than candy this year. We don’t get a huge number of kids so I made 32 of these:

And it was great because I got a deal from Amazon on the votive [lights](AMAGIC 30 Pack LED Tea Lights, Lasts 2X Longer, Flameless Tealights Candles with Flickering Warm White Light, Battery Operated Tea Lights Bulk for Mothers Day Gifts, D1.4’’ X H1.3’’ Amazon.com), and I cut the wood and acrylic pieces from all those scraps I’ve been hoarding for so long.

By cutting a little oval at the bottom of the acrylic to accommodate the bulb, I was able to get by with only one layer of spacers. The wood tops + spacers were hot glued to the top of the plastic votive housing.

If you do something like this, you will need to peel off the plastic bulb cover that looks like a flame.

36 Likes

Those look wonderful. My wife makes bags to give away, along with candy too

9 Likes

That looks great! Honestly never would have occurred to me that votives could do edge lit acrylic, but there they are!

13 Likes

They’re adorable - what a great idea!

9 Likes

I’m sure the kids will love this…they may tell others…you may be swamped:-)

8 Likes

Great looking hack! Your neighborhood kids are so lucky :ghost::jack_o_lantern:

6 Likes

What an incredibly cute idea!! Love the idea!

7 Likes

What an absolutely fun idea…and inexpensive to boot! Nice innovation.

6 Likes

I can’t believe how much light the tea lights give off. They light the acrylic perfectly.

6 Likes

Wow—- those pumpkins are GREAT!! The kids will love them.

4 Likes

What a clever idea! We don’t get any trick or treaters, so I don’t have to worry about that at all. But I can certainly see all kinds of possibilities of using the tealights/votives like that! Going to have to try it!

4 Likes

Great idea! Way better than candy!

3 Likes

This was the second year I tried to hand out wooden pumpkins, the kids here don’t want them. Ah well.

Their mom’s would be paying $ to get them at Michaels or Home Goods :slightly_smiling_face: You should tell the kids they need to take one to give to mom.

3 Likes