**useless trivia***

DO YOU KNOW: that a ‘#’ is called an “octothorpe”

4 Likes

Did not know that. :thinking:

I got one…what’s the little plastic or metal cap on the end of a shoelace called?

An aiglet.

3 Likes

I have one I just learned in the Mark Rober class… if you write on a whiteboard or other non-porous material with a sharpie, you can just write over it with a dry erase marker and when you wipe that off, the sharpie marker will come off with it! Who knew??? (Of course, I had to immediately test this on a whiteboard we have, and it totally works)

8 Likes

Did not know that either! (That’s two new things today.) :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Not useless at all. I learned something new today. Thank you :grinning:

6 Likes

aglet. My ex was an avid crossword puzzler and this was a frequent occurance.

3 Likes

I always thought SInatra sang “aglets, I’ve had a few, but then again too few to mention”
I guess frank didn’t have many shoes with shoelaces.

8 Likes

I use it for Scrabble a lot. That and etui. (Always seem to wind up with a tray full of vowels.) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s even easier than that - a little isopropyl alcohol takes indelible ink off non-porous surfaces and can reduce its appearance on porous surfaces.

5 Likes

You can’t get more useless and trivial than this - “Omphaloskepsis” is a word meaning “the contemplation of one’s belly button”.

9 Likes

:rofl: I love all the fabulous information!!!

1 Like

My new word for the day Glowaloskepsis – means “what will I make today on my Glowforge”
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Dreamt” is the only word in the English language that ends with “mt.”

Well, My pockets are always ‘MT’ – does that count?

5 Likes

That’s really good to know. Dry erase markers dry out so very quickly. From now on I’ll use a Sharpie first (we keep track of how many eggs we get a day, plus other things), as my Sharpie’s usually last a long time.

1 Like

You will want to test it first; some whiteboard surfaces are non-porous to whiteboard markers but are damaged by isopropyl alcohol. I would stay with the dry erase and store them tip down for the longest life. IPA is usually for those cases where you get Sharpie ink where you don’t want it.

3 Likes

Us old and grey programmers like one-syllable character names. For example ‘#’ is “pound” or “hash”, ‘!’ is “bang” and ‘*’ is “star” or “splat”! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

C:> Nomon = an {island}
NOMON NOT FOUND
So its a deserted island?

1 Like

My husband regularly cleans our whiteboard with the iso alcohol. And we do store our dry-erase markers tip down. Maybe we’ve just had them longer than I realize?? Very possible! I think I also read somewhere that you could “recharge” the colors by adding iso alcohol to them? Or adding something, I’ll have to look it up.

The ‘secret’ ingredient in KFC’s 23 herbs & spices, is white peper
The ‘secret’ formula in Coca-Cola is Lime.

and speaking of coca cola, the ‘wave’ logo? is two coke bottles laying neck to neck

2 Likes

Did you know the ampersand: &
is a ligature of the letters ‘e’ and ‘t’ forming the latin word ‘et’ (meaning ‘and’)

Also, before it was called an ampersand, it was sometimes considered the 27th letter of the alphabet. The name ampersand came from students reciting the alphabet, ending with:

X, Y, Z, and per se and
the and per se and would blur together and eventually created the name ‘ampersand’

4 Likes