Uses for white polypropylene?

I would use it to build a container for my PocketNC 5 axis milling machine. The PP would make a good material because I can heat weld it to seal the compartment so I can use fluid coolant without having to worry about sealing wood or using aluminum or steel since I don’t have welding access. I would use the makrolon to make a clear lid. The steel would go in the base as extra mass for vibration dampening. The PP would be good to help damp vibration also, better than aluminum or steel.
The current design is 1/2 inch hardwood ply with a slab of granite as the base for anti-vibration. A tool drawer at the bottom for all the tools and cutters, with nice isoprene feet. Spring pistons on the door so that it stays up and down without locking.
Not sure I could afford shipping, but I am open to try.

5 Likes

Thanks! that’s great (though also a bit sad). I’d been worried it was all going to be things like 1-1/2x11 (which would be fine but need some more thinking).

I want to use some 1/4" to do some expanded-mesh covers for some of the lights in the garage, and maybe try some tiffany-style lampshades (with the alcohol ink people were talking about). Also boxes, toolholders and all the usual, but that’s not all that interesting.

I wonder if the half-inch would lithophane. The tendency toward melting might actually help there.

2 Likes

Well two replies so far. I have two huge pieces in the garage right now . 20 something by 30 something. I can cut down for shipping.

Somebody who lives closer to Ottawa…If you’ve got large sheets, it might work as some nice stops for the GF. Removable, hopefully not too heavy. Won’t warp (I assume.) Couple of cuts and done.

Gloss white would even match nicely. :slight_smile:

Other than that, I can’t think of anything.

2 Likes

A possible use I came up with is to make texture plates for paper and polymer clay crafting. Like [this one](Lisa Pavelka 527062 Texture Stamp Ancient Doodle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CC1Y3A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wW8vybGJ6Y5SE) for instance.

And with 3D engraving you could make much more interesting ones.

4 Likes

Hmm. Can we consider PP food-safe after lasing? Because cookie molds.

Also, since pp is low-frictionish, pretty much endless little bearing surfaces and guides.

1 Like

I don’t know why people don’t use it for that. Delrin seems to be more used in those applications. Or is it uhpe.

The food safe side is worth looking.

3 Likes

Delrin (acetal) is much harder and tougher than polypropylene, so for instance, if your bearing is also weight bearing (:slight_smile:) it is probably a better choice.

10 Likes

Well only two people seemed to have an idea, so you both get some! @ben1 and @paulw .

I’ll contact tomorrow and figure things out.

Cheers and beers folks.

2 Likes

I am not worthy. But I’ll give it a shot anyway.

2 Likes