Using Glass Clips to Vertically Mount Glowforge Designs as Item Hooks

I needed to make extra space in the workroom for Glowforge materials, and inspiration struck while I was looking for hooks to display some lightsaber hilts that were taking up shelf space. I could make much cooler thematic hooks than the plain clear acrylic on offer!

My hooks are 1/4" Proofgrade red acrylic. I spray painted them with Ironlak (graffiti paint), which covers and adheres well to big engraved sections. I wasn’t worried about paint on the edge so I didn’t tape to prevent it, just sprayed across the hooks with the original masking covering only the two sides. The engraving is mirrored on both sides. Note (as is often suggested): it’s much easier to correctly position an interim piece in the Glowforge, such as a cut shape that needs to be engraved precisely, if you place it directly beneath the camera.

The clips screw into the drywall and the hooks are held by a capture screw in each clip, visible in the image on the left hook. I may use electrical tape or cut plugs to hide them. The clips are available from Amazon. The travel distance of the capture screw is too small for use with 1/8" (thin) Proofgrade material but you could always cut the appropriate sized squares of extra material to make a hidden sandwich inside the clip.

Lastly, I wasn’t worried about weight or the clips turning because I’m using them in pairs but without a drywall anchor the individual clips will rotate. They come with anchors.

25 Likes

Oh that’s really smart - and solves a couple design problems I’ve been noodling on about a wall holder for baroque recorders… Nicely done, I love the design on your holders too.

11 Likes

Thanks. I don’t have anything needing a baroque wood design but I imagine it would look spectacular, particularly with gold clips instead of black.

10 Likes

Wow, thank you, it would for sure.

2 Likes

Oh that’s brilliant! I even have a bunch of those because we have a glass bookcase. Hmmmm, now what can I hang that’s lightweight? :smiley:

I love the Maul tattoos on the acrylic! Those paints look fabulous - and they’re not that much more expensive than the cheap ones you get at the hardware store.

5 Likes

Huh, I just put together that the Sith tattoos introduced in the Star Wars prequel trilogy back in 1999

are surely influenced by Polynesian tattoos (Tā moko)

Thanks!

3 Likes

Yup (though I don’t know if the designer was thinking specifically about Polynesia, or one of the other cultures that tattoo) and in a similar, though significantly younger way, they’re given the tattoos as a recognition of tribe/accomplishment/etc. Maul had more tattoos since the Sith also tattoo.

1 Like

Very cool! I like the method.