Using Glue to Mask and Paint Engraves

So I did a test using both Elmers white glue and wood glue. Although both work to make a very nice, clean engrave, I will stick to the wood glue. It is much easier to remove, and as you can see in the photo, came off in basically one piece, while the white glue was very brittle and came off in little pieces. The small letters are only about 9pt, and they came out really nice and clean, definitely better than using masking.

I am very happy with this experiment and will be using wood glue from now on! Guess Iā€™ll have to start making some jigs when I do these, as I like using the dish soap method on acrylic because it doesnā€™t leave a ā€œridgeā€ but nice, smooth edges on cuts, whereas the glue, or even masking, does.

Now I wonder about coating the back of my acrylic with wood glue when I cut, simply to make it easy to peel off. Iā€™ve been putting dish soap on both sides and laying it on a piece of cardstock to prevent flashback, but sometimes it sticks to the cardstock and ruins the piece. And I used the cardstock only because it gave something for the camera to focus on, and I didnā€™t want grid marks to transfer. But the cuts do come out nice and rounded and smooth. Oh, what to do?? :smile:

9 Likes

Nice!

Iā€™ve successfully used liquid latex on tiles when I want to fill the engrave with paint. Very easy to remove.

6 Likes

Got a link to the latex you use?

2 Likes

Brings back memories. I use to use Liquitex back in school when I did watercolors.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a big bottle of Liquitex that I bought several years ago. The only thing Iā€™ve ever used it for is when I was making pillow covers for our daughterā€™s shop and painting designs on them.

Interesting that on the label it says, ā€œIncreases translucency, adhesion and paint flow.ā€ When I painted our floors years ago (on both subfloor and concrete floors to make them look like tile), I used Floetrol to thin my acrylic paints for the designs. It appears the only difference between the two is that Liquitex leaves a matte finish, whereas Floetrol doesnā€™t change it, but Floetrol is a WHOLE lot cheaper! The Liquitex was $31.59 (years ago, donā€™t know what it is now) for 1 qt. Floetrol is $9.98 at Loweā€™s.

But because both make more of a permanent bond, would they work as a masking element on tiles and acrylic? Another experiment! And I have a couple hundred tiles I can try them on!

2 Likes

For the back side of acrylic I just use plain copy paper to prevent flashback, it works very nicely.

3 Likes

You must have your settings dialed in really well! If you use significant overpower to ensure your cuts will work on various thicknesses or variable materials then copy paper may not be enough. I tend to use cardstock to hedge that bet, itā€™s significantly tougherā€¦ or if I am really not sure how much I am overpowering the cut, Iā€™ll even use 1/8" mdf or BB ply.

Lately I just eyeball most settings into a few buckets that are for ā€œfeatherweight (like cardstock), easy(cardboard-ish), medium(Most 1/8ā€ woods) and hard(1/8" acrylic ish, 0.2-0.25" hardwoods)" materials, if flashback is going to be an issue I need to protect the back with something fairly hefty.

The tradeoff is that I donā€™t have to fool with remembering the settings when Iā€™m cutting most things. I get more serious when the desired end result is really fine etc, but in general I play it pretty loose.

4 Likes

Just the standard PG acrylic setting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Irony! I never use PG settings.

I think they are too aggressive about overpowering. GF needs to be sure that they are going to cut the material reliably, so they err on the side of overpowering. I donā€™t like how it increases kerf and (for wood) makes very dark edges.

Interesting that the paper holds up for you, by my logic the flashback might blast through the paper. Maybe Iā€™m overthinking it and donā€™t need to worry as much?

Anyway, good results are good results, so carry on! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, @evansd2, and for all those who commented. I learn so much from all of you. Great jig, and Iā€™m excited to try glue for masking.

4 Likes

I donā€™t have a specific brand, just something cheap. The last one I bought was this one:

3 Likes

Thanks for the detail on this; I learn so much!

3 Likes

@evansd2, I absolutely love using the glue as masking on acrylic! My daughter called me last week and asked me to make some templates for her. Although she is the one who got me started on having a laser, she has never lasered on acrylic before, and she knew I had a lot of it. Well since you shared this technique a few weeks ago, itā€™s all I use now on acrylic now, and I am so thankful! It definitely makes painting so much easier, and is so much easier to peel off than regular masking.

Hereā€™s a pic of the templates I made her.

9 Likes

Oh wow those look great! Iā€™ll use it next time I do acrylic too.

What are those templates for, some sort of tailoring?

2 Likes

Theyā€™re for positioning designs on t-shirts and sweatshirts for her store. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! What type of paint did you use?

2 Likes

I just used acrylic craft paint. Iā€™ll probably make her another set but spray paint it instead, as Iā€™m not sure if the craft paint will ā€œliftā€ with use. Of course, the markings are engraved, so she would see them anyway. But I still think spray paint would work better. But Iā€™m mailing her these to get her started. Weā€™ve hit a cold snap so itā€™s too cold to spray paint this week.

2 Likes