Using Glue to Mask and Paint Engraves

So this is situational but I used wood glue to mask some plastic pieces prior to engraving. Then infill with paint, let it dry, then remove the glue and excess paint. I first tried to do it with tape but it always bled through – glue made a perfect seal, no paint could sneak under.

Pics will make it more clear…

Old keys on the bottom, new ones on top.

The problem. The old keys have printing on the front for media functions.

New keys F7-F12 are missing the printing.

Paint wood glue on the key surfaces (yellowish hue). Apply two thin even coats, let it dry.

Make a jig and laser the keys.

Blue is great, engraves white. I didn’t have to mask these.

White is… eh. Want to paint them blue.

Let the paint dry completely, then peel the excess glue… perfect.

End result, including the real reason I did it, backlit shine through letters:

Worked like a charm.

68 Likes

Hey, that’s pretty slick!

I like the masking-with glue approach. I’ll keep that trick in mind.

10 Likes

Did you try any other glues when you were experimenting? I assumed standard PVA would work similarly. I haven’t tried masking fluid (mostly used in watercolor painting) yet but, have some.

7 Likes

For hard surfaces like plastics (acrylic maybe) and tiles it could be really handy. No more heavy scrubbing to get excess paint or marker off tile.

8 Likes

Yeah wood glue is basically PVA I think?

I had some white Elmer’s PVA, but went right for wood glue.

5 Likes

I think wood glue is basically PVA plus some secret sauce. I’ve seen people do comparison tests where proper wood glue definitely has a stronger bond.

7 Likes

Nice jig you have there.

9 Likes

Nice trick! I’ll keep it in mind for non porous engraves. Thanks!

8 Likes

Thanks, I rigged up a new (to me) way of aligning and securing the jig, pretty happy with it.

I threw a 2x4 in there and a scrap of BB simply taped to it as an overhang. Used a few magnets to hold the 2x4 in place, quick and dirty.

Designed the jig to put the key at the same height as the BB ply, and then cut a notch in the ply with two detents to grab the jig. Guaranteed X/Y position, worked really well.

I could use set focus on the BB ply, which handled the height calculation. I suppose I could have entered the material height in the cut step, but set focus was simpler for this one-off.

The tape was the sloppiest part. If I were going to do this and needed to move the jig in and out I’d probably want something more secure, like hot glue or a couple of screws. Maybe do that next time I need a weird jig, we’ll see.

23 Likes

I really love the little jig for holding the key in place. Practical cuts are my groove.

14 Likes

Wow, that is a great result, and the whole process is just… tight. l might be able to use this trick, too. A few times I’ve wanted to make control panels and I’ve never been satisfied with my attempts to get crisp labeling.

13 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing that.

7 Likes

That looks really cool! Love the backlit effect. And a great jig! Thanks for the tip about the wood glue. Does it peel off easily? I’ll have to try this on acrylic! Should be the same, right?

5 Likes

I used a plastic razor to scrape/peel it. It came off pretty easily, about 1 minute per key to get all the little bits off.

In theory? I’d test it, PVA might affect the surface or something. With acrylic, I think the power move is that if you let the glue fully dry it gets slightly brittle, so flexing the acrylic might make it just pop right off?

6 Likes

I’ll try it today and let you know! I’ll do a comparison with wood glue and regular Elmer’s glue and see how they both work.

8 Likes

So funny you posted this. I’ve used glue as a mask in the past and got great results. I just never thought to post it because I felt silly doing it. Like I kinda figured there’s something out there designed for this purpose and by me using glue I’m using “the wrong thing.” LOL

14 Likes

If it works, it’s not the wrong thing. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Coolest jig ever. :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: :+1:

8 Likes

You’re not silly, liquid masking for artists has been around for at least 100 years :slight_smile:

3 Likes

great concept, thanks for posting it.

2 Likes