Using Inkscape with the Passthrough šŸ¤”

OMG!!! your brain!!! KAboom. Thank you for the offer. I just might take you up on that.
I really appreciate your time!!!

Cris Strank

1 Like

Hello again Jules,

First, thanks for this tutorial. I am unable to get my letters to unionize. Any suggestions?

Just check to make sure that you follow the steps exactlyā€¦with Inkscape you will need to Ungroup at a certain point (as well as converting to Path) in order to get the Union tool to work.

1 Like

I would love to try your suggestion - it sounds so much easier! If you have the time, I would really appreciate it if you would write up step by step instructions.:smiley:

Jules, I will pay you to teach me passthrough. Please Iā€™m a visual learner. Help. My email is patrickdunham6116@gmail.com please message me

Hi Patrick, thank you for offering, but I couldnā€™t take your money. Did you sign up for the Passthrough Beta software? Because itā€™s a whole lot easier than this, and itā€™s being tested now.

They might still be signing up new testers, so it doesnā€™t hurt to get your name out there. Itā€™s a lot easier than doing it this way.

In the meantime, Iā€™ll ask if anyone more familiar with Inkscape has time to give you some tips privately.

Thank you so much for responding Jules . Patrick is my husband. Iā€™m liz and the one seeking help. We just got the glowforge about a month ago and Iā€™m loosing so much business for not being able to create bigger signs . So is the pass though beta a new software ? Truly I appreciate any help you can give me . Iā€™ve watched so many YouTube videos but these people seem to really know how to

Use all these different softwares for design .

Many thanks
Liz

Yes, the Passthrough software is the software that Glowforge is creating for you to use with the passthrough, and it is being beta tested right now.

Click on that link that I gave you, read the instructions carefully in the first post, and the tutorial that they give, and sign up for it. It does all of the file splitting for you. Automatically. All you have to do is create your design.

But because it is in limited beta, you have to volunteer to test it. And it can take some time for them to see your request, or they might not need more testers, but eventually you are going to be able to use it when they release it. So it just makes sense to learn to use it as soon as possible.

It is so much easier than doing it the way that I have shown here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you so much just signed up for it ! I donā€™t understand why they wouldnā€™t make a 7k machine just feed right through the passthrough or at least more than 19.5 . Thank you again Jules.

Liz

Because then it would be a 12K machine. :smile:

2 Likes

Haha!! True that. Have a good night thank you again. I signed up letā€™s see what happens.

Liz

1 Like

This is where they should have put this into the GFUI. I mean breaking up a file into tiles like vcarve does (or easel) is a useful feature (pro or not). That would be a useful premium feature so even without a pro you could tile a job.

2 Likes

Hi Jules I was hoping you could help me figure out why the glowforge is printing a straight line on this specific design . Sending you pic

My artwork does not show the line but when I print it does . Hoping you can shed some light on it.

Thank you
Liz

That can happen when you have open vector paths on the designā€¦or some stray points that are being connected by the Glowforge software when the design is set to Engrave. (It tries to close open paths for Engraves.)

Try checking the file for stray points or open or overlapping paths on the ā€œOā€ and the ā€œAā€.

The easiest way to fix it it if you canā€™t find the open points is to just rasterize the image. (Turn it into a bitmap and delete the originals before saving it for the Glowforge.)

1 Like

Omg you are so knowledgeable . I will relate this to the person who designed it for me.

Many thanks Jules and for a quick response .

Blessings
Liz

Hi Jules . Quick question Iā€™m trying to cut these place cards on 1/4 maple using 140 full power but itā€™s not cutting it . Do you have any recommendations on what settings to use ?

Thank you so much
Liz

Are they passthrough files? (1/4" is gonna be tough to make it through in one pass, and sometimes the passthrough has been reported to slightly dial back the power on second section cuts.)

If they are passthrough cuts, I would set up the Cuts to use two passes in the individual Cut operations. (Manual Settings. It will make sure the cuts are complete.)

Thank you . I will try two passes :pray:t3:. Liz

Hi Jules do you have a minute . My glowforge has been offline and I tired everything but nothing is working. You know glowforge takes forever to respond and Iā€™m freaking out bc I have all these Christmas orders to fulfill. Any suggestions would greatly help .

Thank you
Liz