Using metal marking on WOOD?

I am experimenting with trying to get blacker blacks on Bamboo, and am having a lot of luck using Brilliance Laser marking spray…
here are some pics:

Washed

Dried then sanded

6 Likes

Isn’t that stuff fairly expensive? How’s this an improvement over using masking and something like a black spray paint?

1 Like

yes, it is, I’m just playing… YOLO!

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Experiment FTW!
That was some of the most fun I had when the company gifted me with a pre-release machine, trying different materials - a treasure hunt. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Very interesting! I wonder how it compares to the baking soda hack?

Please tell more! - I never heard of that one!

Jonathan

Wow this is really interesting!!

4 Likes

That’s pretty impressive. I like the detail that can be achieved, plus it is so easy. Thanks for the video.

Videos are annoying, so save yourself the 4 minutes of pointless talk:

Description:

Using a baking soda and water mix to darken your wood engraving. Helps achieve a darker, more detailed result with less power. Prep… on birch, lightly sand, spray solution, let dry and boom… engrave.

They’re using about 1 tablespoon of baking soda to two cups of water. It comes out a bit darker for the same settings.

Possibly relevant comment:

I’m just getting into lasers. But for the last year I’ve been doing fractal wood burning in which I use a solution of 1 tbs baking soda to 1 cup of water. The baking soda / water solution stains the wood. Then I use osilic acid to remove the stain from the wood. I’m thinking that is why your engraving is coming out darker.

5 Likes

Wow, impressive!

Yep, like the video says, it’s just baking soda and water. The mixture alone can yellow some wood, but I’ve seen people add a little borax to prevent it. I’ve only played with straight baking soda and water once or twice, and it really does make for a darker result. And it’s whole hellofalot cheaper than the spray. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

hey, that’s where I live!

9 Likes

Food safe?

the metal marking material is food safe, and I coat the board with poly,
the flip side is really used for food prep, the lasered side is more for display
its usually a good idea NOT to cut food on the lasered side, food particles can get trapped in the grooves and rot and cause bacteria.

2 Likes

And I’m in SJC, so you’re also YOLND! (You Only Live Next Door :laughing: And I totally understand no one will know what county SJC stands for other than maybe you.)

3 Likes

I wonder if I let it do a first engrave, then pour the baking soda mix in the indent, let dry overnight and give it a second pass with the laser.
Hmmmmmmmm

Do it. Take before and after pics!

OF COURSE!!!
I do!

:stuck_out_tongue:

(left board, using laser marking)
(right board using sharpie and alcohol)
Both 4 layers of Poly

2 Likes

Baking soda on a cutting board? MEH

washed and scrubbed with a hard nylon brush

3 Likes