Using "set focus" with material over .5" (No tray)

I am having the same trouble - have messed up several cutting boards because of this issue.

I often find it difficult to get the results I want when searching these forums. As I am reading useful discorse, it’s kind of frustrating to me that you want to split the thread, I appreciated what was being said and did not think it was so off topic.

My question is how are people by-passing the glowforge software requirement that you enter a thickness for uncertified materials in the scenarios with or without the crumb tray?

1 Like

This thread is in the category of Glowforge Tips and Tricks which is where people go to find answers rather than post questions. When someone is having trouble, they need to post in their own thread so that their question shows up in Discourse under New so that others will see the post and respond. The Everything Else category is a good place to post general questions or problems that don’t require a support ticket to be opened for Glowforge staff.

1 Like

Regarding how to by-pass the software requirement that you enter focus height for uncertified materials, use the set focus tool with or without the crumb tray. With the crumb tray, use the set focus tool and the focus height will show auto after you manually input your settings. If you have the tray removed, the material surface to be engraved must be elevated to at least 1.4" (the depth of the tray) and then you once again use the set focus tool. In both instances, you must insure that the focus beam falls directly on your material rather than off the edge or in a material void.

1 Like