USS Escutcheon NCC-1701


Since my forge is named “Geordi” (as in Geordi La Forge), it seems I needed to follow the theme for my escutcheon. I have mixed “generations” by using a “re-imagined” original Enterprise graphic as the basis for my design, but the “Next Generation” Enterprise just didn’t look right from a shape perspective, so we’ll assume that lasers enable time travel and Georgi has gone back in time / to an alternative universe to create this Enterprise.

This is a first attempt, and I’m pretty sure I need to go deeper / stronger on the engrave. Using non-proofgrade acryllic (white) sourced from Amazon at about $10 per Square - but i was able to get it same day. I’m using a carbon black acryllic paint to create the contrast, by painting it on, then wiping it off, and using Isopropol alcholol (as necessary) to remove excess paint (when rubbing it off with a paper towel was not as effective as desired).

I still need to work on getting cuts down right, as when I attempted to use some of the tricks others have listed here for using photoshop / illustrator / etc to get an outer shape “cut”, I somehow ended up with THREE cut paths (concentric) for the Enterprise, which made it rough as opposed to smooth. The circle for the glowforge button, however, was perfect, using the circle from the set of cut shapes that another member put together and shared.

Settings I used for the engrave (Georgi is a “basic” Forge) are:
Speed: 600
Power: 80
Greyscale: Vary Power
Min Power: 0

LPI: 225
Focus: 0.121 (which matches the caliper measurement for the Acrylic).
Passes: 1

Any suggestions for what / how to change to improve / deepen the engrave? I’m pretty sure that if the engrave were deeper, the paint not have been so blurred on the surface (left side especially) when I went to remove it (immediately following painting it on).

Thanks for any suggestions.


Ahhh, to boldly go… :grinning::+1:


Looks great!!! Like it survived several battles with the Klingons!!!


Nice! “Make it so.”


Ha! Mine is named Jorditheforge. :wink:


It’s a meetup! Mine is named LaForge! :joy:


Looks great!




Depth, at its root, is going to be a function of energy delivered to a spot. Basically every component has a hand in delivering energy, directly or indirectly. Speed, power, focus, LPI, passes.

You could give it more power.
You could slow it down.
You could increase the LPI.
Your focus is already set (you could defocus on other projects to get thicker/softer lines, which delivers the energy over a wider area)
You could make 2 passes instead of 1.

Being a 3D engrave introduces an additional factor because the beam power is modulating depending upon the grayscale value of the pixels. So if you upped the power, you’re basically decompressing the range of power delivered. (Ex: change power from 80 to 100 or full, and you’re now delivering power from 0-100 over the range of grays instead of power of 0-80. The lighter areas won’t be impacted much but the darker areas will get deeper).

Ultimately, I’d look to either lower speed or 2 passes for this project, if I wanted more depth.


Love it!


Thanks for the suggestions. I re-ran it using the standard Proofgrade acrylic settings, and it did a little better (thought I made the mistake of re-starting the Forge between the cut and the engrave). and ended up just a bit off. (I did the original in two phases as well so I could peel the masking off after the cut portions)

Upon further examination, it looks as if the source file had show “shadow” in it which I have since cleaned up using my old standby, Picasa. Next run will be with the cleaned up version, and on a slightly larger size to provide a bit more space for “Enterprise” to be visible (cut off on run # 2).

Here’s the original image…

Here’s the second run - I also thinned the paint out.

Here’s the cleaned up version:

The 3rd run may have to wait a while…(next weekend, perhaps)