UV printers

I’d like to discuss advances / affordability with UV printers, there are some great conversations here, but the threads been closed. so I am opening up a new one

lets start with THIS:

The Epson SureColor V7000 will be available in January 2021 for under $100,000 (MSRP) through select authorized Epson Professional Imaging resellers. The printer is designed to work exclusively with Epson ink.

Nov 23, 2020

1 Like

Yike! You must have deep pockets!

well, I can fit my fingertips in them :stuck_out_tongue:

It should probably be noted that isn’t a Rikoh printer, but they are using Rikoh printhead(s).

I’ve researched UV printers a bit, and have almost made the leap but pulled back. I don’t know for sure what would work best for me - roll-to-roll, flatbed, or hybrid. But, the research that I’ve done indicates that they can be very finicky, even the high dollar ones, and maintenance costs can get pretty high (maintenance cycles eating ink, etc.).

2 Likes

I’ve wanted a UV printer ever since I found these guys that turned a single product (printed slate plaques) into a very successful crafting biz on every online marketplace from Etsy to Amazon to Wayfair. They started with dye sub and a vacuum heat press, but moved onto flatbed UV printing them.

When I looked into it, the cheapest ones that looked useful and reliable to me were around $25-30K. I didn’t feel like I could make enough product with one to justify that kind of expense unless I was willing to hire help, and I don’t want to be an employer right now.

You can get printers that do dye sublimation and heat transfer toner prints from the same machine for ~$4000, which I’ll probably impulse buy some night. With a heat press, that lets you do full color design on almost anything, from shirts to sheets of wood, including printing in white on dark materials.

Shipping is only 9 dollars! Wow! Can’t say no to that!

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to try puzzles with UV, there are a handful that use it instead of paper for wood puzzles now. After seeing these prices, I think I’ll stick with my local maker space that has one!

I think it has some neat possibilities. You can print on acrylic as well. Being able to build/print textures though I think would be amazing. Not sure what that does to the ink consumption (ergo costs) but definitely interesting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.