Vacuum for lasering

Hi everyone, so it’s just become really hard for me to clean well with my laser, with the dust and small wood pieces i definitely need a vacuum. I’ve had a small shop-vac previously but it really wasnt that powerful, does anyone have suggestions on what they have/use?

3 Likes

I use a hand-held Dyson that hangs in the charger on the wall near my machine.

3 Likes

I just have a pretty boring household upright bag less canister vac. I think it’s a eureka model?

If your shop vac isn’t powerful enough… is your filter clean? If you use it a lot it can clog up and lose suction.

I recently noticed my vac was not as powerful as it used to be so I cleaned the filters and … still not as powerful as usual. So I disassembled the hose and found a stray chunk of plywood had gotten caught in the hose and it was like 85-90% plugged.

I cleaned out the hose and I’m back in business. Maybe it’s a matter of vacuum maintenance on your end too?

2 Likes

I definitely need to get one of these. I already have one for in the kitchen. I need one dedicated to my :glowforge: (or at least this area, so I don’t have to run downstairs everytime.)

2 Likes

Mine was a factory refurb, the one that you can also use for floors. It’s a beast. I got it for half price in 2016, and just now put a new battery in it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love our other one! We just need one or two more…

1 Like

Interesting roundup.

1 Like

i just use this. that way all the stank stuff that comes out of my GF doesn’t permeate the smell of my regular vacuum (the smell of dog in that one is bad enough) and i just keep this under the desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYFQ28/

1 Like

I have the smallest that Lowes sold and it has done fine. However, as the hoses for the C-PAP machine get replaced regularly I use those at the end. The smaller diameter increases the speed of the air, and not only makes it pull nicely, but the soft rubber lets it fit in tighter places, and lifts work from the bed without disturbing the sheets of material that are the scrap, and letting you know without moving anything that did not cut through.

2 Likes

This 1.5 gallon shop vac has worked well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX26N8S/

I also have a stick vac for the floor.

4 Likes

Interesting, Lowes does not have them in stock for half the price :unamused:

1 Like

Yeah. I only paid $42 USD for it from Amazon. That was in 2015, though.

I got this one (from someone else on here’s recommendation): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QG3X6KQ/ - though at the time it was only $50. It’s a touch loud, but I only use it for a few minutes at a time. It lives right next to the :glowforge: and I’ll pop it on to clear out the crumb tray after a cut with a bunch of tiny leftovers, as well as when I’m doing a full clean of the belts etc.

1 Like

I have one of these. I have abused it and it still runs great 10 years later. It has done everything I have asked it to do.

1 Like

Battery powered Milwaukee lives here.

1 Like

I love the battery powered Worx cube vac. Light and compact. 20V Portable Vacuum Cleaner | Cordless (WX030L) | WORX CA

I bought this to suck the pellets out of my smoker when I change flavors and it works great plus it’s cheap.

The rare occasions I want to vacuum something by my Glowforge, usually just twice a year or so when brushing out the exhaust fan and grate, I use a Dyson handheld/stick vacuum. Same one I use for the house.

I do the opposite and love it. I use this:

It it quiet and just amazing. Every few times after I turn off my GF, I just blow it out. Amazing

I got tired of buying canned air and do similar with mine…an electric ‘canned air’ thing.

2 Likes