Vanilla Extract Stamp

Excited to share my first finished Glowforge project: a stamp for homemade Vanilla Extract just in time for Christmas baking. So many other projects to finish now but I have a feeling there will be many more stamps made. !

47 Likes

Very nice! I have not tried to make any stamps yet, but that looks like it worked out really well!

2 Likes

Love your stamp, it came out great!

I just happen to have my first batch of homemade vanilla started (it’s only a month old) after scoring a deal on the beans and discovering a dusty bottle of rum in the back of the kitchen pantry. Only 17 months to go!

9 Likes

That is a great stamp!

3 Likes

very nicely done. finished products look like something you would find in an high-end boutique.

5 Likes

Looks great!!!

3 Likes

Nice! Now, fess-up. Did you remember to reverse the text on your first attempt? If you did, you are a better thinker than I. :unamused: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

So easy to forget!

2 Likes

I have my first batch started too! I believe I started it about 4 months ago. I also have big bottle of limonchello that I am making for my husband and his best friend. I used vodka for the vanilla though, not rum.

5 Likes

This is the first time I made some too and I started mine 4 months ago. I am disappointed it is not darker at this point (blogs made it seem like it should be ready in 3 months.)

3 Likes

I’ve got a three or four year brew in the outside fridge. (Blend of Tahitian and Madagascar Bourbon beans.) It is exquisite, and only needs a few drops. (Which means that the half gallon that’s out there will probably last the rest of my natural life.) :smile:

Great stamp @jhansen !

5 Likes

I’ve been making vanilla extract for a few years, now. But, mine might be considered the peasant variety, as I use the leftover dregs of any kind of liquor left in our liquor cabinet…and I mean any kind…from tequila to rum, etc. They don’t sound very good together but they make great vanilla! It also cleans nearly empty bottles out of the cupboard.

This just reminded me of the time I divided up a batch to share. Gave my oldest daughter her bottle and found out later that she drank it for her birthday! She said it was SO good. Oh well…

8 Likes

Mine’s not either. I was under the impression it was best to wait around 6 months but 3ish months was workable. But I agree with you, I thought it would be much darker at this point.

Maybe I should read some more. Will let you know what I find out.

2 Likes

So is this our version of sourdough bread? LOL

IOW I didn’t really do any other typical pandemic baking.

2 Likes

I watched a few videos about making it in one day using either an Instant Pot or sous vide. I’ve got both of those but so far haven’t had the guts to try it.

1 Like

hmmmm, I’ll look up about the instant pot.

Unless you want a very forgettable night for yourself and a very unforgettable one for everyone else.

4 Likes