Vary power and convert to dots missing?

just to add to @jbmanning5 's comments, how you create your rasterized vector is really important. which DPI do you choose? if you do it right, that varies with what your engraving settings are. if it is a color image, does it convert to grayscale? that’s really what it’s doing when you engrave color bitmaps anyway, but should GF be making that setting choice? i wouldn’t have them do it.

i think sometimes people want to make the GFUI the place to do everything, and that road leads to where it does a lot of things poorly, but few of them well. especially when there are other tools out there that already to those things really well (and still free).

2 Likes

I’m actually kind of curious to try engraving the image I posted.
It does not separate out the two greens. It’s all together.

But the SVG is two layers, which is something @jbmanning5 mentioned as not well supported?

In the past, and we haven’t heard or seen anything different, those two overlapping fills should cancel each other out and laser nothing but still go through the motions of doing so.

Edit, my bad as I “assumed” it was all compound shapes or something similar.

Inkscape will rasterize anything and you can drop it into the GFUI. However, if you insist you could make them different colors, and engrave first one and then the other. The result will be that where both are engraved the depth would be doubled.

The GFUI gets weird when engraving overlapping shapes, but if done as separate times then it just does as it is told.

Hello @bande_creations, thanks for reaching out to us. I apologize for jumping into the conversation a bit late. It looks as though you got all the correct information and the answer that you needed from our community members. Thank you everyone!

Since your question looks to be answered, I’m going to go ahead and close this thread now. Should you have any other questions or need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to post a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re happy to help!

1 Like