Veggie Stakes

In my promise to share laser files for my 2nd year in business birthday bash, I thought I would make this neat take on garden labeling free.

I can id a plant pretty well, so I really don’t need a stake telling me it is a tomato. What I needed was one where I could write down the variety to keep them straight to take notes on what did well and what succumbed to the various Georgia pests. Since I am in Georgia, I only recently needed to do this while planting some new plants for the 2nd gardening season (aka after the dry scorching).

I have tomato, cucumber, zucchini, and made a leafy herb although I didn’t cut any, with the idea that you write the variety on the plant silhouette.

A little bit of garden love for you cold northerners ;p

AI and SVG files:
garden_stakes_3catmax.ai (183.5 KB) garden_stakes_3catmax
and yes, they are a bit phallic :laughing:

24 Likes

Can’t help but be since they are representing the stuff for reproduction!

4 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses::+1:

I had to give up on growing squash down here because the vine borers were too much to deal with. (Also wasn’t real fond of the method of prevention/ deterrence.)

I’m jealous of those beautiful plants.

3 Likes

How do you keep plants growing in this heat?
(Another Georgian)

1 Like

Holy irritating grubs! There is no such thing in where I’m from (Utah), everyone can grow squash for daaaays. Had to learn about those buggers the hard way. If you plant after June or July, that is supposed to be past the egg-laying phase for the vine boring moth. Butternuts are far more sturdy to them, and I had a huge crop of accidentally germinated-in-the-compost-then-replanted butternuts, got about 35 squash that ripened, but the summer yellow and spaghetti couldn’t hack it. So try butternuts? ;p

I try to remember to water the tomatoes and baby squash every 3 days or so, but anything I grow has to be pretty resistant to an easy death ;p Basil is fantastic in the South, blanket flowers, cosmos, and salvias tend to be drought resistant, and the zinnias were a surprise from a cut flower and pollinator mixed seeds packs. Mulch is your best friend because it holds in water like a sponge. I need about ton, my soil is horrendous and has taken 4 years to transition from an average chemicalized dead zone to teaming with bug and critter life. Now if I could only convince the stupid marsh bunnies to stop making baby bunny nests in my cat-filled yard ;p

I am also a lazy gardener, and basically planted a cardboard egg container with bagged mulch to germinate seeds in, then laid the rest of the mulch bag flat, poked holes into the top in a grid, then transplanted the baby plants into that. Keeps the medium covered and the mass keeps moisture longer than individual pucks, they all can share the space to grow out the roots, and it is easy to stick a hose into the side of the bag on a drip setting to saturate it. Looks ugly, but works great!

3 Likes

Thx for the design :slight_smile: my moms cat would love these, she goes around the neighborhood in the summer and steals all the tags out of the garden and neighbors gardens and brings them back as gifts.

8 Likes

Wat? That is hilarious :rofl:

2 Likes

Nice share!

1 Like