Veneer Proofgrade Material Thickness

Any idea what is going on? I am trying to do a cut of cherry veneer (proofgrade) and the glowforge has been working fine all day up until now (including other veneer).

I’m getting the following error despite cleaning all the lenses/windows:

“Your material must be less than 0.5” tall with the tray in, or between 1.5” and 2” with the tray out.”

The laser dot is on the material (where it is supposed to be).

Also, I’ve have successfully cut other material (including maple veneer) since the error but still get the error with cherry veneer.

Couple of things to try:

Reboot your Glowforge.

If that doesn’t help, try telling the machine you are using a different Proofgrade veneer (walnut or maple). In my experience the settings are pretty close if not the same.

1 Like

Hi cynd11 -

I forgot to mention that yes, I did reboot as well (did not help).

I ended up moving the cut to a different part of the veneer. I think near the top of the cut (in the photo close to other previous cuts) the material was slightly warped. Maybe that messed up the height calculation? I usually check for those things by tapping the veneer to make sure it makes solid contact with the tray so I’m guessing I missed it this time.

I’m just glad it’s working again and not a bigger issue.

4 Likes

Are you using the Set Focus function?

Back in the early days, there were problems with large black squares with the image processing from the lid camera. there have been documented issues here and there, but I haven’t seen it lately.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you had issues with Proofgrade Material. I’m glad you were able to resolve your issue and get back to printing! I’m going to close this thread now, if you have any other questions please feel free to start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. Happy printing!

It’s been a little while since we’ve heard back from you. Are you still having any issues printing on thin materials? If you’re still running into trouble please don’t hesitate to let us know!

Yes, I’m still having issues trying to work with proof grade cherry veneer.

I’m sorry that you’re still having trouble with veneer. Could you measure your material with a pair of precision calipers (or another precise measuring tool) if you have them, and send me the values you record? Be sure to remove the protective layer on both sides before measuring.

Follow the link here for a very useful item, the Honeycomb Hold Down Pins. For best results, the material needs to be as flat as possible. Using these will assist with holding down any item that you print on.

Hello.

The veneer thickness is .027

I’ve done hundreds of cuts with veneer so I do understand the importance of it being flat.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the details. I’m looking into it now. As soon as I have more information I’ll update this thread.

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one.

I’m closing this topic and I’ll be in touch via email soon to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.