Vent through crank out window

My studio only has crank out windows. They open from the bottom and swing out and up. Any brilliant and innovative ideas on how to vent it through this window this winter (though I’m not convinced my GF will arrive this winter… but I digress).

I may be forced to cut a hole in my studio wall and install a dryer vent. I really don’t want to.

Also, does anyone know how long the filter lasts? Will I just be better off not having to mess around with the filter?

Thanks!

How long the filter will last will depend on what materials you are cutting and how much you use it.

For the window, I have double-hung windows so it’s a little different, I cut a piece of 2" rigid foam insulation the width of the window by about 7" high. I then cut a 4" round hole in that and fitted it with a dry vent system.

Could you adapt this idea by cutting the rigid foam the full size of your open window?

I will likely eventually cut a hole in the wall in my studio. Still figuring out a few details on how best to do that.

2 Likes

I bought this and use it. Works perfectly in my standard window frame. Don’t know if it’d work in yours. But take a look! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most of the ones I have seen use a screen. The only thing I can think of is replacing the screen with plexiglass (or similar) and then embedding a connector in the plexiglass. As it is a screen replacement the window would still crank shut when not using the glowforge.

The filter life (and replacement filter cost) is certainly an unknown. I suspect for units that are heavily used a quality venting solution may be the best way to go.

1 Like

I have casement windows that open sideways. One of them just happens to be missing a screen . My plan is to make an acrylic sheet with the vent hose port embedded in it and put it where the screen would go.

3 Likes

I have this same issue with my garage studio space; I can cut a hole in the wall and install a vent, but given that I live in Minnesota, we usually avoid adding holes to spaces we are paying to heat :slight_smile:

I think cutting a piece of plexiglass and mounting a vent into it is probably the best option - I don’t have high hopes of the filter being powerful enough to properly vent inside an enclosed space, especially when cutting acrylic or similar.

Reading about people adding booster extractor fans, that seems like a pretty good idea… I’ve found with lasers and stinky things, more fan is almost always a better thing.

You are going to want to use something insulated if you are making a window insert. A sheet of wood or plastic is essentially going to make it feel like your window is open all winter

1 Like

Thanks. Right now I’m thinking the best solution is to put in a vent. I am just wondering where it should go given that I have a pro and I need to move it around for the pass-through. That’s really the main reason I bought the filter. To make that movement easy.

1 Like

This thing is ugly and will do nothing for winter insulating

MorningRising Flexible Cloth Sealing Plate for Mobile Air Conditioner,Push and Pull Window Seal Plate,Hibote-Flat Open Window Window Frame Side Soft Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CXSJ4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N1k6zb5A9D8XF

But maybe the bones of the idea could work : playmat foam instead of the cloth, velcro-ed to your window frame?

1 Like

If you don’t go with the screen-replacement idea, I think the best thing would be some kind of wedge-shaped cutout. Wood with a couple coats of paint on it should do nicely. (Or you could use some scrap Tyvek :wink:)