VENTING -- I made a critical mistake

I used to work in HVAC, and used These all the time, ( Backdraft Shutter Damper Connector Duct) and they are wonderful, but I recently discovered that the Glowforge’s smoke, has a Sticky quality to it, and GLUES IT CLOSED… so you need to CLEAN THEM once a month, or use some other method to keep humidity / water out of your GF.

they are a lot easier to deal with since its ‘automatic’ but you also gotta keep em clean.

Jonathan

5 Likes

To save people the click through, this is what he means:

As for solutions, I’ve used a louvered dryer vent for four years and it’s as good as new. Something like this:

10 Likes

Thanks @evansd2 you truly are the god of toast.

1 Like

and the only caveat to those is make sure it’s not one with a screen inside of it. i wasn’t thinking when i installed the one i bought that had a screen at first and it clogged up in a week or two. just pulled it out and now it works fine.

5 Likes

Never have I ever . . .

thought smoke would be ‘sticky’ but in retrospect plywood has a lot of resin in it, and other bonding agents, when they are cut / burned / etc… that resin would vaporize.

makes sense.

Jonathan

acrylic too.

MDF is the worst here, I think. Hence why it just straight up houses filters.

2 Likes

I’ve used the same vent since I setup my GF. Never had a problem with it.

1 Like

All woods have resin. Some more so than others.

1 Like

I have been using this for a long time now and never have any issues or have to deal with disconnecting when now in use (although I often do disconnect because it’s good practice). Those have just great for if I forget to disconnect

https://www.amazon.com/Lambro-289W-Dryer-Vent-Seal/dp/B005EGQTU0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vent+seal+dryer&qid=1629974754&sr=8-3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.