Venting Through Ceiling

Why risk it?
There must be safe ways to do it. It must be standard practice for a location that doesn’t have an outside wall. [quote=“smcgathyfay, post:37, topic:8570”]
If you look at my setup, anything that doesnt make it to the roof and out, falls back into the part that I can open and empty…
[/quote]

Additionally, I can’t just cut a hole in the side of my house. It’s brick, so I imagine having a contractor do that work would be very expensive and would also lower the value of my home since no one wants a dryer vent in their bedroom.

Obviously, I don’t want to burn my house down, which is why I asked for advice in the first place. Your warnings are warranted, but seem a bit alarmist. In fact, it reminds me of when I posted an instructable on liquor bottles I turned into citronella lanterns and mounted them to my back patio. Some people said I’d burn my house down, and others realized that the flame couldn’t get remotely hot enough to set fire to a 4x4. It seems scary, but isn’t really a risk at all. Thank you for your concern and suggestions. I will certainly take them into consideration.

5 Likes

You may think that my advice is alarmist, I would say “error on the side of caution”.

I have done more research since my first post and an in-line fan for laser exhaust is probably not going to burn your house down, but it entirely depends on your setup as to how safe and effective this actually would be.
I would use as much smooth duct as possible and install an access hatch at the fan (unless you can get to it from inside the attic)

Following local building codes at the minimum.

2 Likes

That all sounds much more reasonable. Thanks

1 Like

i mean, it won’t at all, as long as it’s installed properly. boosters are pretty common.

1 Like

Booster fans are fine for typical types of exhaust (bathrooms, or for smoke, etc.) but they should never be used with debris laden exhaust like dryers and range hood exhaust unless they are specially designed for this use.
I have researched laser exhausts and It may be that it is not really debris laden exhaust, however others on this forum have indicated that is is not just smoke or ash but that it contains other particles as well.
Does this rise to the level of “debris laden exhaust”? I don’t know.
Perhaps it is not very much to worry about.
Maybe it depends on what you are cutting and the how much debris you generate.
That is why I qualify it.
If it is unknown, having a way to clean the system would be a good hedge against build-up.

1 Like

it isn’t, not really, but more to the point, these boosters are not uncommon in these situations if you look online.

i’m all for following code, but there’s a difference in knowing when things are okay and knowing when you’re “risking injury or death.” obviously everyone should decide these things for themselves, but the risk here is minute - with the key observation that these things should be inspected regularly.

1 Like

I’m reviving this old post because

1. I’m looking at venting solutions for my new GF and
  2. I love your kitchen