VESA-VESA Mount Shelf

So this is the file for the VESA-VESA mount that I made. Not super useful as a single design if you don’t have the exact weird problem I had, but this way you have a VESA mount pattern for whatever project you have.

For Glowforge folks
Monitor Mount.svg.zip (2.4 KB)

And for those who know what to do with these files (the VESA mount plate in STL, STEP and Solidworks format):
VESA Mount 3D files.zip (60.5 KB)

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing the file.

My pleasure. Not like I invented the VESA mount, and for folks not familiar with turning mechanical drawings into models figured this could rapidly accelerate some project. I’m sure someone who is an illustrator guru like @Jules could explain how do to this pattern in Illustrator but my default for things like this is CAD (This was done in OnShape)

3 Likes

I wish I understood CAD, CAM, DFX, STL and all those other magical files and their design. I can visualize things in my head, but can’t always explain it to others. (I guess if I wasn’t so lazy I’d figure it out.)

1 Like

First step is to just Google the terms, that makes them make more sense right away. Next get in and start doing what you want to do and the ones that are important to your use case will start to stick.

3 Likes

I went and downloaded Fusion 360 to play with.

2 Likes

The problem (and believe me I love fusion) is that they have now jammed in every possible feature/function so the learning curve is steep beyond basic CAD. Especially now that they’ve jammed EagleCAD inside it. And the combo of direct modeling and sketch based modeling is particularly confusing. I teach using OnShape as it is pure sketch based so learning the ideas work more cleanly. I also like the constraints better in OnShape as they are in some way purer and it is more tolerant in using geometry off the current sketch.

2 Likes

Boy howdy, you said it! I’m lost already

Yeah, I would do some of the more simple tutorials. I would also recommend initially avoid the direct modeling (work directly with 3D shapes) and just do sketch based modeling. That makes it easier to learn about constraints. Once you are used to constraints any other tool like Easel will be annoying to you.

3 Likes

I think iI’ll hold off on 3D printing for awhile. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think the key to learning Fusion 360 and other programs that do oh so much is to look at it like a large city library. It’s great that they have a book or 5 for everything but today we need to learn about X so we will go straight to the section and row what will have the books on X.

I do a lot of cool stuff with fusion 360 but there are whole modules that I have barely touched! You can do SOOOOO much with just sketch and extrude. Really master that and then we can start adding a tool a day or so for a while.

2 Likes

I use cad for the 2D objects we make with GF or x-carve too. It will manage all the tabs/slots for joints, And will validate clearances of moving parts, etc. In OnShape for instance you can export a face of an object as a DXF (which then you can turn into the SVG for the GF). which is my standard workflow.

Here is a tutorial video I made for my class at the medical school. It uses OnShape but the concepts work in Fusion as well.
https://vimeo.com/manage/198357495/general

2 Likes

Check the linky Doc, just tells us we are unauthorized.

The video is marked as private link mode (so should be wide open). Not sure. Try reloading it? or try this direct link:

1 Like