Vexilla Florum exhibition opens September 14

I am pleased to announce that my work featuring Glowforge-created elements will open at Gallery 825 in Los Angeles on September 14 and continue through October 18.

“A vexillum is a flag and as something that can be seen from far away, it was an early form of communication - a way to direct troops or identify a faction. Vexilla are a relic of war. Hochman Brown has created vexilla standards using floral motifs that pay homage to the flower children of the sixties, who promoted their power through gentle acts. The pieces are a remembrance of the women who constructed the flags of war while maintaining peace at home.”

The opening reception is September 14, 6-9 PM.
825 La Cienega Blvd,. Los Angeles
All are welcome!

36 Likes

Lovely! Congratulations on the Exhibition! :grinning:

4 Likes

This is absolutely incredible work! Congrats and good luck on the showing.

3 Likes

What does the QR code do? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh, that is gorgeous! I wouldn’t mind seeing a closeup of the quilt as well.

3 Likes

Love the art. Love the sentiment. I wish you and any other exhibitors good luck and peace.

3 Likes

The fabric is custom printed satin charmeuse lined with silk dupioni. The designs are created by distorting and reflecting photographs digitally. Any sense of depth and layering is thanks to the shadows in my source photograph and some digital trickery on my part.

9 Likes

At the moment, the QR takes you to a webpage that shows the design used on the banner.
www.hochmanbrown.com/datura
Eventually, the code will link to an animation relating to the subject flower.
There are six banners in total for this show.
The design I presented here is DATURA (Jimson Weed).

5 Likes

Congrats! Really nice piece!

3 Likes

Wooh! Pretty sweet!

1 Like

Congratulations - your artwork is gorgeous!

3 Likes

Good for you! I hope it goes well. Great pieces!

1 Like

That’s stunning. Congrats!

3 Likes

Amazing, well done! Great idea!

1 Like

Congratulations! The piece shown looks incredible - I’ll be following the link to see more of your work!

1 Like

Love how you handled the union for the backer of the hanger. Lovely work! The fabric print is spellbinding!