Video: Creating and Editing Paths (pen tool and bézier basics)

I recorded a tutorial video (11min) that covers the fundamentals of creating and editing “paths”, which are arbitrary shapes and curves in a vector editor.

It’s for Cuttle but all vector editors (that I know of) have a pen tool and this style of path editing, where curves are represented as anchor points with handles (bézier curves). So the concepts are also transferable to Illustrator, Inkscape, Affinity Designer, Sketch, etc.

Some of the early Cuttle users, who were new to vector editing, asked for this video, since working with vectors is really non-obvious if you’ve never learned it. But once you learn the basics — what click vs click-and-drag does with the pen tool, and how curves are represented as anchor points with handles — you can get the hang of it.

Let me know if this is helpful for anybody :slight_smile:

13 Likes

As always, I found your tutorial very helpful Toby. It was easy to understand. Now if you can just give me a tool to help me remember all I’m learning!! Great job. Loving Cuttle.

4 Likes

Toby your the man!! You rock!!

3 Likes

@ellencadwell @JimmyWayneWestie Thanks!! I’m glad the video is helpful.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.