Vinyl Records

Has anyone ever tried to engrave and cut on vinyl records. I saw this and was curious.

records are made of vinyl, which is very bad (for you and for the laser itself) to laser cut.

2 Likes

Vinyl records are made of polyvinylchloride, and it’s the chlorine in the polymer that makes it bad for you and the glowforge.
If you want to copy it, use a piercing saw and an engraving tool, or print on the surface.

John :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Don’t cut records. you can make a fair replication using black acrylic, or a jig from which to cut an actual record using mechanical cutting methods (blades, routers, punches).

2 Likes

I always think a visual is the best teacher. Just don’t do it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@kittski Thanks for sharing this visual reminder.

All - please notice the couple screw heads in the upper left area of this picture, it’s not the dirt that is a problem, it’s to corrosion cause by the chemical reaction of cutting PVC with a laser. Always know what you’re putting in your laser and if it’s safe to cut / etch or not.

1 Like

12 Likes

Thank you all. I am new to glowforge so I think I will try to recreate the look of a vinyl record with black acrylic.

10 Likes

If you figure out the settings to recreate the look of grooves you’ll be the hero of many people here.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great picture. I just printed an 8 1/2 X 11 color copy to go on the wall above the Glowforge I am installing in a classroom.
K

2 Likes

Very good idea!

1 Like