Vinyl settings [EDIT: Not recommended!]

ok good info i was looking at getting a vinyl cutter soon.
a little sad they actually came out perfect

1 Like

ok i ordered a cricut cutter for doing vinyl just now .
i wont do it on the laser any more.
i really appreciate the feedback. im a newb. and i definitely dont want to ruin this pretty expensive machine

5 Likes

No problem…that’s what we’re here for! :wink:

Would you mind editing your first post to remove the settings information? (Just in case someone else comes along and only sees that and tries to cut vinyl without reading the rest of the comments.)

You can edit the post by clicking on the little pencil at the bottom. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is false. Lots of people use the blanket term “vinyl” when they are in fact polyurethane or polyester or other polymers.

While I agree it isn’t looking great and it might well be PVC, the only people who can tell you that are the sellers. I’d ask for the msds before I turned my back.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @peteb! One of the wonderful things here is that the other forum members have each others’ back. In this case, with the critical information about vinyl being unsafe.

Someone flagged this for attention so I added a disclaimer to the first post. If you’d rather I delete the thread, just let me know by replying and I’ll do that as well.

Thanks so much for being a customer and for joining the forum!

4 Likes

Hi Pete,

I have the Circut Maker and use that just for vinyl. I have been really happy with it the few months I have had it.

2 Likes

Bring on the body bags!

3 Likes

I think it’s a good idea to leave the post and that was someone else searching for vinyl settings will see all the warnings.

2 Likes

You have to be in the “brand new never even considered searching” category to miss them. They’re on just about every vinyl thread.

That being said, searching for “vinyl alternative” may be helpful.

clicking your link doesn’t give results. Suggest they just type in “vinyl alternative” into the search field.

I wish I were that clever. Discourse stinks, pasting search links doesn’t always work. Oh well that’s what I get for being helpful. Yeah what @rpegg said.

1 Like

done ty

1 Like

i deleted the settings on the post

2 Likes

There are Vinyls that do not contain chlorine, the settings were and are good for them… Just need to be hyper-aware of what you put in your Forge.

2 Likes

You can do a search for “PU vinyl” and come up with quite a few places that have polyurethane vinyl. I think most, if not all, are heat transfer vinyls for clothing and such, but those SHOULD be safe. Still need to verify that there is no PVC in them before trying though.

2 Likes

Thank you for leaving this post up. I have a piece of PVC vinyl sticker in my GF right now, but didn’t want to cut it until I did some research. Saved me big time.

14 Likes

My wife wants to make vinyl stickers on the Glowforge, but understands that it is not safe to cut. I just ordered some of this PVC-free laser-safe vinyl (linked below) to test out. I have no idea if it’ll work, but figured it would be worth a try. Wish me luck!

2 Likes

@lampert did you ever test out this alternative from EcoFriendlyCrafts? I was thinking of getting some myself, and am wondering how your experience was with it. Do you have GF setting recommendations for it? Thanks!

just a note about PVC free vinyl

Is there PVC free vinyl?
Are they Glowforge Friendly, I am sure others will chime in! :slight_smile:

Alternative materials to phthalated vinyl include: virgin PET; PET from recycled plastic bottles; polyolefin and polypropylene materials; acrylic polymers; ethylene- vinyl acetate; and polyurethane made from soy-based resins. Each of these PVC - free thermoplastics creates its own set of performance circumstances.

Here is More on the subject!

1 Like

Did you ever test this laser-safe sticker material?