Visit with smcgathyfay

Sweet!! Havent been to Denver in awhile…might just do a big road trip…lmao

3 Likes

LOL, rent and RV and pick up other glowforgers along the way :slight_smile:

(if you actually do this, you’ll have to make a long detour to WA so that I can tag along!)

3 Likes

‘Cause we got a Glowforge convoy
Rockin’ through the night.
Yeah, we got a Glowforge convoy,
Ain’t she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our convoy
Ain’t nothin’ gonna get in our way.
We gonna roll this Glowforge convoy
’Cross the U-S-A.
Convoy!

Dating myself…if this doesn’t sound familiar check out Convoy song and or movie…mid 1970s
My siblings and I knew this song by heart…lol

12 Likes

Me too. I can hear Chris Kristofferson singing your version :confused:

3 Likes

Um… please stop by Vancouver Canada!!! :squeeee:

Make this an “international” convoy!

2 Likes

Well, you really should start in the southeast and work your way west and north! Hey, NC is in the southeast and is a pretty place to start a roadtrip! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m honestly green jell-o

1 Like

Once the 10,000 GF’s :glowforge: are in the field, just like the maps that show all the states and providences visited, there will need to be a Glowforge map showing who’s Glowfolks have been visited…

3 Likes

I’m curious, How did you laser the slats on the mug? Cut them out and laser, then glue together?

2 Likes

yep! You cut the slats to size, cut the bevels on both sides, sand them down, then you lay tape on the table (sticky side up), stick your pieces to the tape (tightly and EXACTLY lined up). Then you make sure they are tightly held to the tape and then carefully put those pieces into the laser. Engrave your design on it, pull it out and then there are other tricks to reversing the tape so that you get the mug all glued up properly.

Looks easy, but it’s really not. But I love the results so I’m going to keep doing it!

6 Likes

Awesome thanks for the response. I’m wrestling with a similar issue but until I have my unit I won’t be able to try and solve it. I have quite a few wine barrel oak tops that I want to engrave but when they are whole they definitely won’t fit, so it will mean engraving groups of slats then trying to put them back together. I suspect I won’t be able to do it quite yet based on the current camera accuracy, but only one way to find out.

2 Likes

Your escutcheon looks like one-eyed Willie. :smile:

1 Like

Wow. How in the heck did you make a “friggin” mug?

1 Like

Lots of practice with a bunch of woodworking tools. The engraving was done while it was still flat, then I carefully lined up everything when I glued the slats together.

4 Likes