Voronoi pencil holder

Inkscape has a Voronoi extension, which made things easy. I’m happy to write up a detailed explanation later. Would it be best in this thread, or as a new post in a different section of the forum?

9 Likes

That’s amazingly cool!

1 Like

That’d be great!!

I’d say new thread and crosslink.

2 Likes

love this!

1 Like

Very nice! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tutorial posted here: Voronoi pencil holder in Inkscape

14 Likes

Very nice. The Tabbed Box Maker extension in Inkscape is very versatile. Using millimeters too gives me a bit more perspective when doing kerf, tab clearance and material thickness. I’ve been cranking out little boxes like crazy in cardboard and the precision is incredible. Nice way to decorate it!

5 Likes

I wonder how hard it would be to extend the pattern to the edges and use it to design the joints?

2 Likes

This turned out great! Love the pattern!

1 Like

I’m not quite sure I understand — can you explain a bit more?

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand either. :wink:

Basically I love the design but the square joints throw it off a bit for me. I was just contemplating how you might be able to extend the pattern all the way to the edges and then create a complementing pattern on the adjoining face that would act as the finger joints.

1 Like

Ahh! An interesting idea, certainly. I could extend it to the top, but I’m not sure about the corners. I wouldn’t want the tabs to get too fragile — my tolerances were tight for this build, so it needed a bit of a helping hammer to encourage it to fit together properly :laughing:

The only way I can immediately think of to do this is to have some kind of branching effect coming from the sides, with very narrow tabs (or wider tabs that subdivide themselves). Remember that a narrow tab with a large slot on one side means there must be a narrow slot and a large tab on the other.

Any idea if there is a plug in for corel draw

1 Like

If the corner was solid.

Now this is a very crude sketch but hopefully it makes sense.

The left side represents a traditional joint. The right side shows three connecting points on a corner. At each connection there would be two fingers on one side and one on the other. between the connecting points would be open space.

It obviously wouldn’t be as strong as a traditional joint that uses the entire edge but for something like a pencil holder it should be strong enough.

It would definitely take more time to design than the 60 seconds I spent drawing this poor sample. :wink:

Something I would like to try when I hopefully get my GF in November or December.

3 Likes

Actually to make it flow better I would have the sides continue across the joint. Something like this:

6 Likes

Interesting. My concern would be that the joints wouldn’t hold strongly enough, and the whole thing might be a bit flexible for me. It would definitely be an interesting project to try though!

3 Likes

Perhaps keep the solid sides for strength, and use @lairdknox 's idea of continuing the branch shape, but with an engrave?

1 Like

Oh, that sounds fun! I’m kind of curious about also letting the pattern go all the way to the top, as it won’t be a problem there.

It’s just a pencil holder. How big are your pencils?

11 Likes

Love it! I like the randomness and that each face is different. Good one!